Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007

This^

The vast majority of people don't upgrade their RAM. The thing craps out after a few years and they go buy a new computer. Its amazing the negativity in a thread with such a positive message. Apple is doing and spending a great deal trying to lessen their impact on the environment. This is a good thing.

These machines end up on eBay or thrift stores and the vast majority would get upgraded and used adequately again for many years. Thus, the best form of recycling electronics.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I upgraded my 2009 white unibody MacBook as much as I could. When I finally changed it for the 2014 MBP it had 8GB RAM and 1TB HD, but the old Core 2 Du processor couldn't keep up with my daily tasks. It is now being used by a trainee in my office, a techie who's more than happy to be using it and will still get a lot of mileage out of it, since his daily tasks are not CPU intensive.

So, here's two things that I take from this: a) even upgradeable computers get old and need to be exchanged changed for newer models; b) a 5-yo 2009 MacBook still has a lot of usage right now, in 2015, which I doubt would be the case if it was a Wintel machine.

how long would you have kept it with 2GB of ram and the original hard drive?

I'd say that the biggest thing with 2008/2009 macs is not the C2D its the mechanical hard drive. SSDs improve speed like you would't believe.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
What type of solar plant is that? I thought they would be using PV panels.

From Forbes Article: "The projects will use SunPower’s concentrating photovoltaic technology, which uses parabolic mirrors to concentrate sunlight onto solar cells to produce electricity. This system is run on a tracker that follows the sun’s movement in order to capture direct sunlight and maximize the energy production."

It uses smaller but more efficient PV panels and focus the sun's rays on them from the tracking aspect and the curved mirrors. I think the benefit is that more power can be generated over less land area. But obviously the tracking system is more expensive than a fixed PV rack and it requires more maintenance. I also suspect that the parabolic mirrors are more expensive. But Apple has a lot of cash over seas that they won't bring back to the U.S. due to taxes that would then be due. So they may feel comfortable spending more upfront or just taking bigger bets with that overseas cash.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
These machines end up on eBay or thrift stores and there vast majority would get upgraded and used adequately again for many years. Thus, the best form of recycling electronics.

Exactly. And when the RAM and HD is replaceable, it doesn't matter when Apple skimps out with things like 4GB of ram in 2015 as they can be upgraded.

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
I commend the company for its progress in regards to being environmentally sustainable. However, I do feel with its cash hoard, manufacturing and domestic developments in the US should be undertaken by Apple. It's time now.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I don't think this has anything to do with the environment. If there was no environmental impact with any of this stuff some people would still be complaining that they can't tinker with their computer.

I agree, but the post to which I was referring was someone framing it as environmentally irresponsible on Apple's part to make batteries not user serviceable, or solder RAM.

There are plenty of computers out there that can be tinkered with, still. Even Apple computers. I buy them used quite often, and upgrade them with SSDs and RAM. Gives them another 5 years of life.

But I really wish that those who are so stuck on complaining about the lack of upgradeability on new Apple devices would either shut up and go buy another brand of computer, or shut up and deal with it. Mainly, I wish they'd just shut up.

----------

I commend the company for its progress in regards to being environmentally sustainable. However, I do feel with its cash hoard, manufacturing and domestic developments in the US should be undertaken by Apple. It's time now.

Apple will never get into the manufacturing business again. Rightfully so. That's not their discipline. One of the greatest strategic moves they ever made was to dump manufacturing.

As far as bringing manufacturing back to the US, that depends on whether the federal, state and local governments can be forward thinking enough to allow US companies to compete with companies in other countries, and whether said US companies can be agile enough to provide the necessary flexibility.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

They're not "wrong". That's not how this works. Every design decision is a cost/benefit compromise that is made reflecting the values of the designer or management. You are listing only the benefits you value, presenting them as if they're the complete picture, and ignoring the costs.

I've seen otherwise good engineers and designers fired for this disingenuous behavior.

One-sided opinioneering, mistaking subjectivity for objectivity, proudly making yourself out to be a total jerk... Are you a politician? Marks of the trade.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
By eliminating user replaceable batteries, Apple has done us all HUGE favours by eliminating the appallingly poor third party replacement batteries market, and has also removed the potentially lethal fire hazards, and warranty void scenarios.

Joe Wing Yap Wong in China may be unhappy about that, but, erm, tough.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
By eliminating user replaceable batteries, Apple has done us all HUGE favours by eliminating the appallingly poor third party replacement batteries market, and has also removed the potentially lethal fire hazards, and warranty void scenarios.

The missing part of this HUGE favor they're doing us, is the HUGE favor part, where when these batteries die, they offer their own proper or replacement option, keeping entire computers from getting thrown in the trash.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
5) Faster processors (to reduce premature obsolescence)

I've had my iMac for 8 years now. It's still capable of doing everything I need it to, with all the latest software, although it's sometimes a bit sluggish.

I'm thinking of replacing it this year. According to Geekbench, the replacement will be 1.5x faster for singlecore tasks and 3x faster for multicore.

According to the doubling once every 2 years rule, I should be getting something 16x faster given its been 8 years.But I'm only getting 1/5th that. Why? We're about at the point where the hardware is good enough for the most complicated software that a prosumer like myself needs. So instead things have been getting a lot smaller and more energy efficient.

So stop complaining about speed. If you really think it's a problem, you don't need to buy a Mac. Feel free to buy something else. The speed is perfectly good for most people to use it for a decade.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
From Forbes Article: "The projects will use SunPower’s concentrating photovoltaic technology, which uses parabolic mirrors to concentrate sunlight onto solar cells to produce electricity. This system is run on a tracker that follows the sun’s movement in order to capture direct sunlight and maximize the energy production."

It uses smaller but more efficient PV panels and focus the sun's rays on them from the tracking aspect and the curved mirrors. I think the benefit is that more power can be generated over less land area. But obviously the tracking system is more expensive than a fixed PV rack and it requires more maintenance. I also suspect that the parabolic mirrors are more expensive. But Apple has a lot of cash over seas that they won't bring back to the U.S. due to taxes that would then be due. So they may feel comfortable spending more upfront or just taking bigger bets with that overseas cash.

Ah thank you, my googling failed me today. Interesting technology but keeping those curved mirrors clean must be a job and a half!

I did see somewhere that they can still use the land for pasture as well on these plants. Great way to get more use out of the land.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
how long would you have kept it with 2GB of ram and the original hard drive?

I bought it second-hand for a bargain in 2010, so I didn't have a choice in the matter, but the answer is: if it wasn't upgradable, I wouldn't have bought it with only 2GB RAM and the original 128GB HD in the first place.

I believe that a machine built better (and Macs certainly are) will last longer and be useful to others rather than becoming landfill (and many more PCs than Macs certainly do).

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Exactly. And when the RAM and HD is replaceable, it doesn't matter when Apple skimps out with things like 4GB of ram in 2015 as they can be upgraded.

Absolutely agree. I love apple and commend them for their openness when it comes to environmental responsibility, however I do not see a reason why most macs are not user upgradable. It can be argued that the new MacBook, it would physically be not feasible, however most other macs should have their RAM and storage easily upgradable without compromising on other features such as "thinness". If they can engineer the most amazing products, surely engineering replicability would be child's play for them.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
That makes it absolutely fine. Apple should put that statement out as part of their PR. Thanks for that.
Any company that operates Data Centres is incredibly wasteful, so much so it would make your head spin.

True that data centers take a lot of energy. But if the energy is solar then what impact does it have on the environment? I also question the use of the word wasteful. They consume a lot of energy but they are doing something, processing data. Why is that wasteful? It's not like they're just burning light bulbs for the heck of it. Using a lot of energy does not necessarily equate to being wasteful. All of the mail and cloud storage, and such is a legitimate function. Why is that wasteful, especially if, as I pointed out, the energy is solar, not off the grid?

Last edited:

henryhbk

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Brilliant. I can’t wait for the time the clutch on your car wears out and the garage tells you a new transmission is the fix.

Wrong analogy. This is more like the clutch wears out, and GM tells you that you have to have it serviced at a GM center, rather than replacing the clutch yourself with a part from Pep-boys. While there are certainly people out there who will replace their own worn clutch (and while they may be passionate and vocal) they are a tiny minority. It's not that the battery isn't replaceable by anyone, just not you...

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
I will bet you that Apple could manufacture the iPhone in the US for $30 to $50 extra bucks. And, I would gladly pay that surcharge BECAUSE that money powers our economy.

I would not. Me and the majority of iPhone buyers are not Americans and we don't care for your economy.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The best things Apple can still do for the environment:
6) Manufacture in America

I'm curious about that last one... why? To reduce shipping across the oceans? Or do you think that American manufacturing facilities are less damaging to the environment somehow? The consumer and average worker is a huge contributor to environmental damage... driving gas-guzzling vehicles to work every day, buying wasteful take-out food and coffees, and so on...

henryhbk

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
As far as bringing manufacturing back to the US, that depends on whether the federal, state and local governments can be forward thinking enough to allow US companies to compete with companies in other countries, and whether said US companies can be agile enough to provide the necessary flexibility.

It is not just the government, and regulations. As a bigger issue is staffing. Let's imagine that we moved all the foxconn plants that make iDevices here to the US. Foxconn employs 1.25 million workers of which 700,000 (approximately the population of Alaska) make apple devices directly, and needs about 30,000 industrial engineers to support their operations according to apple (that is 1/5 of all the industrial engineers in the US, and only ~15000 of those work with electronics manufacturing, according to the USDOL!). Also when apple wants to put out a new device (say a watch) they suddenly need 50,000+ new workers. There just isn't that kind of labor pool in the US (both skilled and unskilled).

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I absolutely applaud Apple for their continued attempt at getting greener (pause for actual applause).

But if you look at the solar farms, they are clearing vast areas of land, and as can be seen in the video, what is left is just dirt. I have seen some studies that show that if the panels were elevated higher, you could grow vegitation underneath and that would be a better thing. Just a suggestion.

If you're going to assume Apple's intentions with all this are pure, then you really ought to assume they've given it more than 5 minutes of thought. They're not cutting down rainforest to build these things. By the looks of that photo, and the view on satellite maps, Hongyuan is just dirt. No offence...

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I watched this on my new MacBook, the greenest Apple notebook ever made, and the most energy-efficient notebook in the world. Loving it. All of us should care about our footprint as much as Apple does. :apple:

View attachment 542364
View attachment 542363
* The first ever Beryllium-free Mac.

That's good for a laptop, but Apple desktops aren't environmentally-friendly compared to those old Gateways I have that never seem to die, and if they do, I can easily repair them. Nothing is soldered on unless it needs to be.

----------

Absolutely agree. I love apple and commend them for their openness when it comes to environmental responsibility, however I do not see a reason why most macs are not user upgradable. It can be argued that the new MacBook, it would physically be not feasible, however most other macs should have their RAM and storage easily upgradable without compromising on other features such as "thinness". If they can engineer the most amazing products, surely engineering replicability would be child's play for them.

The Mac mini is the best example. The newest model is literally the same design as the older one but less repairable.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
:apple:kewl....

Seems like Apple should also be out picking up the trash on the side-walk too while their at it

The Mac mini is the best example. The newest model is literally the same design as the older one but less repairable.

And its still the only one to date you do not need a tools to open.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
The missing part of this HUGE favor they're doing us, is the HUGE favor part, where when these batteries die, they offer their own proper or replacement option, keeping entire computers from getting thrown in the trash.

So what is this, then? :

https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_Kingdom&product=Macnotebooks

Are you implying that they should replace a battery you have used for years, free of charge? Would you also like your electricity and petrol free? Sorry if I misunderstood that, and you didn't imply that. As for the replacement of batteries, they DO offer that service, as per the above link.

----------

That makes it absolutely fine. Apple should put that statement out as part of their PR. Thanks for that.
Any company that operates Data Centres is incredibly wasteful, so much so it would make your head spin.

Tell me; how much does it cost us to power the sun?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
It is not just the government, and regulations. As a bigger issue is staffing. Let's imagine that we moved all the foxconn plants that make iDevices here to the US. Foxconn employs 1.25 million workers of which 700,000 (approximately the population of Alaska) make apple devices directly, and needs about 30,000 industrial engineers to support their operations according to apple (that is 1/5 of all the industrial engineers in the US, and only ~15000 of those work with electronics manufacturing, according to the USDOL!). Also when apple wants to put out a new device (say a watch) they suddenly need 50,000+ new workers. There just isn't that kind of labor pool in the US (both skilled and unskilled).

Agreed. Thus the second part of my statement, about US companies being agile and flexible enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.