Apple Highlights Holiday-Themed Photos Shot on iPhone XR and XS

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today highlighted a series of holiday-themed photographs shot on its latest iPhones, the XR, XS, and XS Max.

All of the photos were shared on social networks by iPhone users, highlighting new iPhone features like Smart HDR, better blurring in Portrait mode, and improved low-light performance.

Apple has shared other "Shot on iPhone" images from its user base, highlighting images shot on iPhone XR and iPhone XS after each iPhone's release.

In its post of holiday-related iPhone photographs, Apple recommends users check out the how to section of its website for tips on how to capture great photos and videos.

Article Link: Apple Highlights Holiday-Themed Photos Shot on iPhone XR and XS

Reactions: tkukoc

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Somebody will start talking about how nice the blurry part of the photo instead of the sharp subject. Some can even rate the roundness of the bokeh balls how nice they are and concludes that the photo are much better because of it.

Reactions: silvertech

rmoliv

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2017
They were all shot on the Xs and Xs Max according to the hashtags... No XR.

tkukoc

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Wish I Was In Space!
I wish I could take pictures like those with my phones. No matter how hard I try mine never turn out at all. Always blurry, always has some residual nonsense on them. It has to be something I'm doing... as usual. Those photos look so good! AGH!! Jealous!

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Does anyone else find the picture of the dog and the kid disturbing? The rug going from in focus to sudden blur is pretty jarring to me. Other than that, it's okay. It gnaws away at my photographic OCD. The background of behind the kid is too uniformly blurred for my taste, quite disturbing to my sense of how lens blur should look.

Reactions: Spectrum

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2014
NewBrunswick, Canada
In before the struggling photographers criticize the iPhone camera quality.
Its not so much the quality of the camera but the effect it has where people take some nice photos on an iPhone and claim to be a "photographer".

Or when people claim upon viewing a photo taken by a professional photographer that "I could take that on my iPhone". People don't seem to realize just how insulting that is.

Or when people say things like "iPhones will make DLSRs obsolete in a few years" (They wont).

For their intended purpose they are excellent cameras. But they still lack in a lot of areas where DSLRs excel (and always will).

cyberlocke

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
Its not so much the quality of the camera but the effect it has where people take some nice photos on an iPhone and claim to be a "photographer".

Or when people claim upon viewing a photo taken by a professional photographer that "I could take that on my iPhone". People don't seem to realize just how insulting that is.

Or when people say things like "iPhones will make DLSRs obsolete in a few years" (They wont).

For their intended purpose they are excellent cameras. But they still lack in a lot of areas where DSLRs excel (and always will).
So true! It's the same folks that say a laptop will be able to replace a desktop. Yes, you can do more with laptops now than you could in the past, and the current crop will beat desktops of yesteryear. However, anything you can build into a laptop you can build faster in a desktop without the heat, space, and power constraints. Likewise, phones will always be chasing the DSLR with bigger sensors, better glass, and potentially better electronics for the same reasons: heat, space, and power.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I wish I could take pictures like those with my phones. No matter how hard I try mine never turn out at all. Always blurry, always has some residual nonsense on them. It has to be something I'm doing... as usual. Those photos look so good! AGH!! Jealous!
If you watch professionals on Youtube they have $5k-10k accessories attached or used along with their phone. On top of that they'll spending time on post processing like Lightroom and most likely they shot those photos on raw files to retain the details before editing. But here's a quick tip to not get a blurry photo on a low light situation use a tripod or anything that stops the phone from shaking like table or hold the phone firmly hold your breath for a second then take the shot. If you can find a good source of lighting that's even better it makes a lot difference on your photo than shooting on a very dark area. For editing don't overused filters Snapseed is a good start to edit your photo. Good luck!

Reactions: tkukoc

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
Time for a photography course maybe....;)

And, to comfort you, all/most professional photographers take 100's if not 1000's of photo's and just a few or even one stands out, or it takes them a week to make just that 1 perfect shot.

I myself took 1000's of shots when I travelled around on a pushbike for 4 years, only a few stand out, and I had an expensive camera + a few lenses.

Reactions: Mousse

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
I haven't yet taken any great Christmas time photos but these remind me that when taking pictures with the Christmas lights in them I should try to take advantage of the lighting to get some good effects. Its the most wonderful time of the year but as usual I am bad at taking photos to capture it. I have now set myself a goal for this Christmas season to get some really good Christmas photos of family and friends.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
A couple of tips:

1) Make sure you have decent light
2) Tap on the screen where you want the focus point to be
3) Try not to move the phone when hitting the shutter button
4) If shooting in low light, prop your phone on a fixed surface; ie wall, table, rail, etc.

iPhone cameras are outstanding and can return excellent photographs.

Here's one of mine from last Sunday, at San Francisco's Ocean Beach:

Mr. Crow at Ocean Beach.jpg

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Does anyone else find the picture of the dog and the kid disturbing? The rug going from in focus to sudden blur is pretty jarring to me. Other than that, it's okay. It gnaws away at my photographic OCD. The background of behind the kid is too uniformly blurred for my taste, quite disturbing to my sense of how lens blur should look.
Not disturbing at all considering Apple's customer base; the majority of whom are not serious photographers and have never heard of the word bokeh.

Rather, they're just ordinary people who want to take pictures of their friends and relatives, take some snaps of vacation travels, etc.

I guess you could say I'm a serious photographer. And am still ok with the above and the results iPhone cameras can return.

Reactions: I7guy

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017

There are very few people good enough at photographer to be qualified to criticize modern smartphone cameras much. They take some great shots.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco

Hmmm... Why do you let what others claim bother you? In my book, anybody making photographs with whatever camera they have, is a "photographer." No reason to feel threatened.

I'll keep on making photos with my iPhone and not worry about others' claims.

Legs Hipsta.jpg

Reactions: Col4bin

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
I have to say the XS camera has been the one of the biggest jumps from previous generations. I have my share of fancy cameras and expensive lenses but the XS can do things that a normal camera just can't. The way it handles really harsh sun and tricky light makes it so usable. When we head to the beach on a sunny day I pretty much surrender the photo taking task to the iPhone. Also being summer where I am, when visiting the pool now we can get some of the coolest shots of the kids close up, I would never risk my expensive camera in those situations.