Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared three new ads on its YouTube channel in Australia, highlighting iMessage encryption, App Store privacy, and iPhone recycling, as part of its ongoing "That's iPhone" marketing campaign around the world.

Apple also shared a new Shot on iPhone XS video and a companion behind-the-scenes video on its main YouTube channel on Saturday:

The video was shot on the iPhone by Donghoon Jun and James Thornton of Incite, in collaboration with WET, and commissioned by Apple.

Article Link: Apple Highlights iMessage Encryption, App Store Privacy, and iPhone Recycling in Trio of New Ads

Reactions: macfacts

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you

tuzzanti

macrumors member
May 9, 2016
These were all fantastic but the iMessage encryption was brilliant for its simplicity.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
The iMessage encryption one is cute.

What I really really dislike about the app store is that the first hit in the search result is always an ad rather than what I'm looking for. I have inadvertently installed the wrong app (yeah the first hit that was the ad); perhaps this is the intention to please the advertiser and it apparently works.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
The iMessage encryption one is cute.

What I really really dislike about the app store is that the first hit in the search result is always an ad rather than what I'm looking for. I have inadvertently installed the wrong app (yeah the first hit that was the ad); perhaps this is the intention to please the advertiser and it apparently works.
To install an app you haven’t already purchased, you have to tap the buy/get button and then authenticate the purchase, with a prompt that shows you the app you’re getting. That’s an interesting accident.

Reactions: martyjmclean

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Apple’s stand on privacy is a breath of fresh air compared to all the companies who believe that because someone “has nothing to hide” it gives them the right to collect and analyze someone’s every online interaction.

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
Damn! I love watching these.
Is there any other company that produces as much high quality adds/clips/behind the scenes as Apple - the quality level is quite remarkable.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
To install an app you haven’t already purchased, you have to tap the buy/get button and then authenticate the purchase, with a prompt that shows you the app you’re getting. That’s an interesting accident.
Iirc it was one of the scanner apps. One that has an ad version and a pro version which I bought. I installed the ad version since it was the first hit shown as an ad.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
iMessage is the biggest reason why I won’t switch to Android.
That's insanely stupid. You sure fell hard for apple marketing. Encryption is only good if it works end to end. So when you have to message the 80% of the world that uses Android, you get no benefit.
If Apple really cared about privacy as "a fundamental human right" as timmy likes to spout like a broken record, they would release it across all platform (android, windows, linux, etc..). But we know that won't happen because apple values money > "fundamental human rights"

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
That's insanely stupid. You sure fell hard for apple marketing. Encryption is only good if it works end to end. So when you have to message the 80% of the world that uses Android, you get no benefit.
If Apple really cared about privacy as "a fundamental human right" as timmy likes to spout like a broken record, they would release it across all platform (android, windows, linux, etc..). But we know that won't happen because apple values money > "fundamental human rights"
My comment wasn’t a generalization. I only know one person with an Android device; the rest of my contacts have an iPhone. So, no, what I said isn’t “insanely stupid” because 99% of my messages are encrypted end-to-end since almost all of my conversations are between iPhone and iPhone.

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
So when you have to message the 80% of the world that uses Android, you get no benefit.

I find this interesting.
I went through the first 40 entries in my iMessages destinations list and found 4 green threads and 36 blue ones.
I wonder what it is that skews my associates away from android and into iPhones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.