Apple Highlights iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max Reviews

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Reviews for the iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Max went live this morning ahead of Friday's launch, and in a new press release, Apple has highlighted reviews from several members of the media who were able to spend some time with the new iPhones.

Apple shared key passages from sites that include Mashable, TechCrunch, Daring Fireball, The New York Times, Best Products, Hypebeast, Tom's Guide, Dailymail, TechRadar, Hardwarezone, Sydney Morning Herald, and photographer Austin Mann.

[​IMG]

Daring Fireball's John Gruber, for example, praised the iPhone's custom silicon and software and its always-in-your-pocket convenience for photography.
    The New York Times praised the way Apple increased the iPhone XS Max's screen size without adding bulk or compromising usability, while Tom's Guide did some benchmarking on the A12 and declared the iPhone XS models the fastest iPhones available.
    Apple, of course, focused on the positive elements in these reviews and while reviewers did generally offer praise for the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, especially for the camera improvements and the larger screen size, most agreed that iPhone X users may not be tempted to upgrade just for a new processor and a better camera.

Apple's full list of review selections can be seen in the article shared via Apple Newsroom. More reviews can also be found in our review roundup, shared this morning.

Customers who pre-ordered an iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max will be able to get their hands on the new devices starting on Friday, September 21, the official iPhone XS and XS Max launch date.

Article Link: Apple Highlights iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max Reviews

2. nvmls macrumors 6502

nvmls

Anyone taking these reviews seriously likely already pre-ordered anyways.

3. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Something interesting that I noted in Gruber's interview is that he confirmed with Apple that the iPhone XS wide angle camera has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 26mm vs. 28mm on the iPhone X, which makes it a bit wider to fit more in the frame at once.

He also confirmed that the new sensor is 32% larger, which is actually pretty significant if you know anything about smartphone camera sensors. I have no idea why Apple buried a detail like that which will truly improve image quality in low light conditions.

They also undersold smart HDR if you check out the photos in his review. He has some good real-world examples. It also seems like the neural engine coupled with the ISP has improved fine hair details on the edges of the faux blurred background bokeh in portrait mode, which is something I have complained about in the past.

So if you look at the camera spec sheet you won't notice many improvements, but in reality it's actually a pretty solid upgrade for people who take a lot of photos with their phone. And compared to an iPhone 7 or 6s it's going to blow it away.

4. madKIR macrumors 6502a

5. Cosmosent macrumors 6502

Cosmosent

RE: "In the long run, the smart money is to bet on silicon and software."

AAPL does NOT have even a single Board member who is an EE OR Software Developer !

6. Doc Evils macrumors regular

Having a 6 Plus, the XS is a waay better reason to upgrade compared to last years X.

7. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Missing from the list...Nilay “the iPhone XS Max stole my kid’s name so I don’t like it” Patel.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

My 2017 iPhone X is pretty amazing and the reviews have all said if you have the X you don’t need to get the XS.

9. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I wonder if they fixed the issue with reflections on the camera glass. Ever since Apple started adding a flat glass cover to the camera lens, any lights in the field of view of the camera will reflect in photos ruining them completely. It's more noticeable in video. People have mislabeled this lens flare but it's definitely not flare and actually a reflection. I can't believe this keeps getting overlooked, specially on a premium priced device.

10. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

For a company that pushes their camera features so hard, I find it ridiculous that you can’t even change the camera settings in the app.
    “Hold that pose, let me go into settings, scroll down to the camera, fiddle with the settings, then open the camera app back up. Ok, say cheese!!”
    You can forget it if you’re trying to record a certainty moment.
    A settings button or slider control directly in the app would be so much better. I can’t believe they still haven’t implemented such a simple feature yet. Come on Apple!

11. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I mean, in all the photos of the new device it looks like the same flat cover glass that goes over both lenses so I doubt it. I haven't noticed much trouble with reflections over the years, but I'm also a professionally trained photographer who has a deeper understanding of how light works and how to best position my camera, subject, background elements (including lighting) to get a good photo. Perhaps that is why I haven't had problems with it? And seriously I'm not trying to come across as bragging or anything but those things do matter a lot when taking a photo and I do it without thinking so you might be 100% right about the lens cover causing problems. I just haven't seen it. Now the green spot on the iPhone 4 camera—that I could see, lol.

12. bluush macrumors 6502

As someone still using an iPhone 5s, I cannot wait for my XS to show up Friday! It's going to be a huge change for me. Watching everyone complain about this phone it seems they're forgetting one small yet critical detail: not everyone already owned an iPhone X. Many of us were using older phones for one reason or another. For that reason, the XS looks more appealing (especially for those of us who rely on our phones to take a lot of photos) than any other phone on the market. Period.

13. mdorais macrumors member

I'll look up the reviews myself instead of only seeing the ones Apple wants me to see, thanks.

14. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

let me guess...it's the best iPhone yet? :rolleyes: (of course it is)

15. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

"We decided to not offer 128gb as the base, all it took was COURAGE".

16. Haswell macrumors regular

$1099 for 64GB is criminal!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2018 ---
    No, it was greed!

17. Princejb134 macrumors regular

lmaoo made me laugh

18. robjulo macrumors 65816

LOL at anything Gruber writes as remotely a “review”.

19. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

The camera update really looks great. As someone who really uses my camera and prizes better low light capability I'm really looking forward to this update.

20. RtWrecklezX macrumors member

RtWrecklezX

Any reviews or previews like this on the Apple Watch 4 yet?

21. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

I mean, isn't that basically what happened from the 6 all the way through the 8?

22. diegofercam macrumors newbie

diegofercam

Of course, the price is the most amazing thing!, Apple is becoming excessively greedy!

23. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

Looking at the app store on my macbook air, High Sierra OSX has only 6 reviews but you can't see each individual review...I remember when Yosemite first landed, the reviews were appallingly bad, but somehow the average was always at least 3.5, and then reviews on Apple apps disappeared for a while...

Apple PodCasts app has no reviews....come on Apple, at least pretend that you're not cooking the books and show a few 4 or 5 star reviews...

CD40D0E7-41C0-427B-A234-D4AEF1627014.png

24. frankly macrumors 6502a

frankly

I think you have a typo there. Tom's Guide said, "the A12 Bionic processor inside the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max make these the fastest phones you can buy." We don't need a review to know they are the fastest iPhones ;)

And this has prevented them from creating some of the most amazing silicon and software on the planet how? You made that statement as if it proves something. The board does not create the chips or write the code.

Did you actually need the X?

I would consider your statement unfounded and unfair. If Gruber is not to your taste, so be it, but no need to disparage him as a writer and purveyor of honest writing.

25. Gudi macrumors 68020

Gudi

Larger sensor with larger individual pixels was mentioned in the keynote, people didn’t take notice because the camera is always better in an S-year. I remember Gruber making the point about always-in-your-pocket camera years ago.