Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today marks the completion of Apple Entrepreneur Camp's first year. Apple designed the program to help female entrepreneurs with developing apps, with the camp offering hands-on technology labs, one-on-one guidance from Apple employees, mentorship from Apple leadership, and ongoing support.

First-year-apple-entrepreneur-camp-102319.jpg

In a press release, Apple says the first year of the Entrepreneur Camp saw female leaders and their teams from 42 companies take part. Apple engineers worked directly with participants on topics including app development, design, machine learning, augmented reality and, if desired, tips for public relations and marketing. Participants are also invited to attend Apple's annual developers conference WWDC.

Esther Hare, Apple's senior director of Worldwide Developer Marketing and executive sponsor of Women@Apple:
I'm in awe of the passion and drive of our first year of Entrepreneur Camp innovators. They are using apps to impact peoples' lives and solve problems, from building connections for underrepresented groups in tech to making solar power affordable and giving people tools to improve mental health. It's great to hear incredible women leaders telling us their experience at Camp has helped them make their apps even better, and given them the confidence and the tools to build new connections, form support networks and raise rounds of venture capital. And we're just getting started.
Ketaki Shriram, chief technical officer of Krikey, Inc:
Working directly with the Apple team, we got feedback on design methodology that helped us solve a problem in our app we knew we had, but had no idea how to fix. We made some significant improvements based on what we learned, including adding a preview mode so players can try the game before they sign up. That's been really successful for us.
The next Apple Entrepreneur Camp is planned for January 28 to February 5, 2020, and applications will be accepted until November 15 on Apple's website.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Highlights Women's Entrepreneur Camp, Applications for 2020 Session Open Until November 15

Last edited:

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Wow, you poor men. I feel so bad for you . . . now you know what it's felt like to be a woman for eternity. This is a step in the right direction to make up for millennia of discrimination. I think you'll be OK because there are a bajillion other opportunities out there for you. I love when privileged males complain about perceived discrimination only when it's happening to them. Grow a pair!

This event is not discriminatory. It's an attempt to make up for years of excluding women. I'll be fine because I've got a ton of opportunities that remain open to me. Where were all you guys when women were (and continue to be) openly discriminated against? You never cared about discrimination until you felt like it impacted you. How does that prove your point? This is not discrimination because men are a privileged class. You think it is discrimination because you are feeling pain over losing some of your privilege.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I would love something like this for men too, or you know, let everyone join the same class. There's literally no good reason not to let men join too.
[automerge]1571851062[/automerge]
Wow, you poor men. I feel so bad for you . . . now you know what it's felt like to be a woman for eternity. This is a step in the right direction to make up for millennia of discrimination. I think you'll be OK because there are a bajillion other opportunities out there for you. I love when privileged males complain about perceived discrimination only when it's happening to them. Grow a pair!

Excluding people for no reason is never a good thing. Men get discriminated against just as much as women just in different ways and it's not a competition. We shouldn't be excluding anyone who wants to learn and grow a business.
[automerge]1571851245[/automerge]
Where were all you guys when women were (and continue to be) openly discriminated against?

Not born yet. Women have had equal rights for a very long time. And like I said above, men get discriminated against too just in different ways. Our genitalia are mutilated at birth without consent, we have to mandatorily enroll in the selective service, we're first to die on the battlefields, we are last to be picked for any kind of childcare/teaching roles for younger people, and we're constantly demonized by the media.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
This event is not discriminatory. It's an attempt to make up for years of excluding women. I'll be fine because I've got a ton of opportunities that remain open to me. Where were all you guys when women were (and continue to be) openly discriminated against? You never cared about discrimination until you felt like it impacted you. How does that prove your point? This is not discrimination because men are a privileged class. You think it is discrimination because you are feeling pain over losing some of your privilege.
Make up for past mistreatment? Be very, very careful with that. Haven't you seen how many people died in the 20th century attempting to make up for 'past mistreatment'?

Reactions: ealeks and -DMN-

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Honestly, I'm disturbed by how many men find this threatening. You've lived your life with the privilege of being a man. You've denied that it was a privilege, but now that that that privilege is being threatened you're upset. It's as simple as that. Don't make it more complicated than it is. None of you would have been willing to switch places with a woman in the professional world because they have been discriminated against their whole lives. Are you really arguing this? You had male only entrepreneur camps forever, on the golf course, in the locker room, at the bar. If women finally have a more formalized version, it' won't begin to hurt you. Recognize your privilege.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Honestly, I'm disturbed by how many men find this threatening. You've lived your life with the privilege of being a man. You've denied that it was a privilege, but now that that that privilege is being threatened you're upset. It's as simple as that. Don't make it more complicated than it is. None of you would have been willing to switch places with a woman in the professional world because they have been discriminated against their whole lives. Are you really arguing this? You had male only entrepreneur camps forever, on the golf course, in the locker room, at the bar. If women finally have a more formalized version, it' won't begin to hurt you. Recognize your privilege.

Seeing as I’ve been passed out of cushy office jobs for not being a woman I’d say - yea lets switch roles.

I would’ve gotten better teacher engagement as the girls in my program had professors literally stop what they’re doing to help for HOURS.
Better time finding a job in the tech sector since women can code fad is killing it.
Free drinks, compliments, open affection without being called weird, etc.
Sign me up, yo.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Seeing as I’ve been passed out of cushy office jobs for not being a woman I’d say - yea lets switch roles.

I would’ve gotten better teacher engagement as the girls in my program had professors literally stop what they’re doing to help for HOURS.
Better time finding a job in the tech sector since women can code fad is killing it.
Free drinks, compliments, open affection without being called weird, etc.
Sign me up, yo.

My heart breaks for you. I knew there would be some guys on here who would site instances when women got something because they were women (never mind the fact that overwhelmingly, the advantage is found in being a male). I knew there would be guys who cried over the fact that women sometimes get free drinks at bars (never mind the fact that those same women are judged almost exclusively based on their appearance, or that some men feel that buying a drink entitles them to something more). I knew there would be men who complained about the fact that affirmative action is necessary to give women equal representation in every level of the work force (never mind the fact that even today, women do not get equal pay for equal work).

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
My heart breaks for you. I knew there would be some guys on here who would site instances when women got something because they were women (never mind the fact that overwhelmingly, the advantage is found in being a male). I knew there would be guys who cried over the fact that women sometimes get free drinks at bars (never mind the fact that those same women are judged almost exclusively based on their appearance, or that some men feel that buying a drink entitles them to something more). I knew there would be men who complained about the fact that affirmative action is necessary to give women equal representation in every level of the work force (never mind the fact that even today, women do not get equal pay for equal work).

There are definitely some place where men have better chances than women, and the other way around. But trying to punish men for the creation of mostly postclassical times is a grave error. Resentment will come, and as was seen in 1870 it will linger until it becomes violent.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
If you use speech like "I just never imagined you'd come out from your grandmas' basements so quickly" no one is going to take you seriously.

There are definitely some place where men have better chances than women, and the other way around. But trying to punish men for the creation of mostly postclassical times is a grave error. Resentment will come, and as was seen in 1870 it will linger until it becomes violent.

No one is punishing you. The fact that you view it as punishment just reveals your privilege. You're upset because you feel like you no longer have the advantages you've had for millennia. The playing field is finally being made level and you interpret that as punishment. "Resentment will come, and as was seen in 1870 it will linger until it becomes violent." That's what has begun to happen. Women resent the fact that they've been blindly discriminated against forever. They're finally demanding that something be done about it, and now you guys are crying about your lost privilege.

I don't care whether you take me seriously. You guys are blind to the fact that removing your privilege is not discrimination. You see it as punishment. Why would I ever think that you would be able to see another point of view. I don't expect you to suddenly see the leg up you've had (and continue to have) for your entire life because someone online points it out to you. You've denied it forever. You're not going to admit it now.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
No one is punishing you. The fact that you view it as punishment just reveals your privilege. You're upset because you feel like you no longer have the advantages you've had for millennia. The playing field is finally being made level and you interpret that as punishment. "Resentment will come, and as was seen in 1870 it will linger until it becomes violent." That's what has begun to happen. Women resent the fact that they've been blindly discriminated against forever. They're finally demanding that something be done about it, and now you guys are crying about your lost privilege.

I don't care whether you take me seriously. You guys are blind to the fact that removing your privilege is not discrimination. You see it as punishment. Why would I ever think that you would be able to see another point of view. I don't expect you to suddenly see the leg up you've had (and continue to have) for your entire life because someone online points it out to you. You've denied it forever. You're not going to admit it now.

Your tone and assumptions reveal that this is written by someone with actual privilege and is so biased and incorrect, he couldn’t possibly imagine a man struggling with any in his life ever. As if every man is just born into luxury and ease. What a foolish, naive and ignorant take.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018

There is no active punishment right now. See that I said trying? But I can clearly see that some wish for that to happen. No good. No one should be punishing anybody else. Stop trying to twist my words for your agenda.

There is no point of view for me. I probably won't even live to see any social changes, they will take too long. What advantages have I had in my life? I've worked long hours doing intense manual labor, only going home for a week a month. I sure enjoyed hauling logs in the Canadian winters while others got to waste their life away on disability. I have not gained anything from the "male privilege". Present some vaild arguements or my viewpoint won't change. Crying "privileged male cries about overturn of his advantages" without presenting real information is not solving anything. Simple.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Your tone and assumptions reveal that this is written by someone with actual privilege and is so biased and incorrect, he couldn’t possibly imagine a man struggling with any in his life ever. As if every man is just born into luxury and ease. What a foolish, naive and ignorant take.

Yes, I do have actual privilege. I try to recognize it, but it is difficult. Normally we take our privilege for granted until it's challenged. Not all men are born into luxury and ease. That's correct, but men with access to the internet who are likely using Apple products are comparatively leading a life of luxury and ease. Virtually, every man has ease when compared to women. Don't respond with examples where you're the exception. There will always be exceptions. The overall description remains accurate and undeniable.

I hope you also see the irony in attacking my tone and assumptions and then proceeding to call me foolish, naive, and ignorant.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
There is no active punishment right now. See that I said trying? But I can clearly see that some wish for that to happen. No good. No one should be punishing anybody else. Stop trying to twist my words for your agenda.

There is no point of view for me. I probably won't even live to see any social changes, they will take too long. What advantages have I had in my life? I've worked long hours doing intense manual labor, only going home for a week a month. I sure enjoyed hauling logs in the Canadian winters while others got to waste their life away on disability. I have not gained anything from the "male privilege". Present some vaild arguements or my viewpoint won't change. Crying "privileged male cries about overturn of his advantages" without presenting real information is not solving anything. Simple.

For centuries, women weren't even given the opportunity to do manual labor (which tended to pay better than the service work they were allowed to perform). Even today, they are perceived as less capable if they're given an opportunity to perform manual labor. I'm sorry that you see the disabled as having an advantage over you. Perhaps the fact that you are not disabled and they are disabled is in and of itself an advantage. You get the opportunity to drive a truck. There are parts of the world where women aren't allowed to do that. You've benefitted from having more than your share of representation in government and our courts. Women make up over half the population, but are well below that level of representation in Congress.I suspect that this may not seem like an advantage to you, but it ensures that your perspective is represented in our laws. You've likely enjoyed a life unthreatened by sexual and domestic violence. You're probably not afraid to leave a truck stop alone and walk to your truck. You also don't make less money for doing the same work that a woman does. Women make less money, but common household items directed at women (Shampoo, deodorant, socks) are more expensive. Women in general are more likely to live in poverty than men.

Are those valid?

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012

I knew you couldn’t really be swayed.
I knew you only care about being a white night.
I knew you didn’t have a clue of what you’re talking about.

Bro, stop blindly defending women.The smart see through the facade and won’t wanna date a creepy snake. Instead realize woman are equal to men and as such DONT need protection from you.

I, as a minority, would hate to have been chosen for a job due to affirmative action. And I, someone lower on the totem pole than you my privileged friend, ask you to take my opinion as fact or else you are a racist. Thanks

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Yes, I do have actual privilege. I try to recognize it, but it is difficult. Normally we take our privilege for granted until it's challenged. Not all men are born into luxury and ease. That's correct, but men with access to the internet who are likely using Apple products are comparatively leading a life of luxury and ease. Virtually, every man has ease when compared to women. Don't respond with examples where you're the exception. There will always be exceptions. The overall description remains accurate and undeniable.

I hope you also see the irony in attacking my tone and assumptions and then proceeding to call me foolish, naive, and ignorant.

Making broad assumptions about people due to their race or class as you perceive it instead of basing things on facts pertaining to individual people is textbook folly, naïveté and ignorance. Any comment that does that is those things because it isn’t based on reality it’s based on assumptions. Don’t take it personally, my descriptions are about your comments, not you as a person.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
I knew you couldn’t really be swayed.
I knew you only care about being a white night.
I knew you didn’t have a clue of what you’re talking about.

Bro, stop blindly defending women.The smart see through the facade and won’t wanna date a creepy snake. Instead realize woman are equal to men and as such DONT need protection from you.

I, as a minority, would hate to have been chosen for a job due to affirmative action. And I, someone lower on the totem pole than you my privileged friend, ask you to take my opinion as fact or else you are a racist. Thanks

Nice try. If you can't beat 'em (with an affective argument) go for the ad hominem attack. Nice strategy. Look, I laid out some facts. If you can present an argument against those facts, feel free. You can't, so your only option is to attack the messenger. I get it.
[automerge]1571927142[/automerge]
Making broad assumptions about people due to their race or class as you perceive it instead of basing things on facts pertaining to individual people is textbook folly, naïveté and ignorance. Any comment that does that is those things because it isn’t based on reality it’s based on assumptions. Don’t take it personally, my descriptions are about your comments, not you as a person.

Now I'm the bad guy for making assumptions about women based on facts that show that men have had it easier? Gotcha. That's a pretty . . . uh, useless strategy, but if it's worked for you in the past, run with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.