Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

R_Ju2ljg-250x250.jpg
Apple today announced changes to its App Store pricing policy in India, Turkey, and the U.K., citing fluctuating foreign exchange rates and taxation changes as reasons behind the move.

In the United Kingdom, Apple is raising the prices for apps and in-app purchases by at least 25 percent, in light of the weak pound exchange rate, which has been down against the dollar by about 19 percent since the Brexit vote.

Apps on sale for $0.99 cents will now cost an equivalent £0.99, rather than £0.79. Apps at price Tier 2 will cost £1.99, up from £1.49, with similar equivalent hikes for higher tiers and in-app purchases. Subscription prices will not be affected.

In India, a service tax of 14 percent as well as levies of 0.5 percent were introduced by the government from December 1, 2016. In Romania, the tax rate has decreased from 20 to 19 percent. In Russia, a value added tax (VAT) rate of 18 percent has been introduced. Apple will submit the collected revenue to authorities on developers' behalf.

Apple's email notification to developers today covered the iOS and Mac App Store, but price increases are likely to come into effect across iTunes purchases like TV shows and movies. In October, Apple hiked Sterling prices across its Mac lineup for similar reasons.

The App Store price increases are set to go live in the next seven days. The announcement comes on the same day U.K. inflation surged to 1.6 percent, an increase put down to rises in air fares and the price of food, as well as prices for motor fuels.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Hikes U.K. App Store Prices By At Least 25 Percent Due to Weak Pound

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
Thank god we've driven ourselves off the white cliffs of Dover financially. As a nation, maybe we can bring Apple back to profit with these increases in the App Store and the pure strength of our British will.

Ah well, certain other countries are gonna have it worse next week I guess.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Does this apply to all apps? For instance, Logic Pro X / Final Cut Pro X? I was a little confused by the wording in the article as it's only talking about £1 apps or £1.49-£1.99.

Would I be right in saying that anything above £2 stays the same? :confused:

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
And if the pound recovers they will go back down right? right??

Of course not, that would be too fair.

I'm not a business man but surely currency fluctuations should be looked at long term. The pound isn't doing great, I'm aware, but it's due to uncertainty around us leaving the European Union. Come March we will know much more and the currency will recover.

Sure, change if taxes increase. But a very clear and explainable currency dip is surely a poor way of producing future incomes?

Either that or this is opportunistic money making?

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
It is pretty bad. If you live in the UK then you'll now be paying at least 25% more for all apps from Apple. On the next tier (£1.49 to £1.99) it's about 33% more. Paying a third more for everything seems like quite a jump to me.

Yeah if the iPhone had increased by 25% it wouldn't be great, but we're talking under £1 here.
[doublepost=1484647298][/doublepost]
Woohoo we got our country back :confused:

Yeah! Wasn't Switzerland held up as a great example of a non-EU country? Now we can have a cost of living as high as theirs and kick out all these stupid foreigners! /s

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Does this apply to all apps? For instance, Logic Pro X / Final Cut Pro X? I was a little confused by the wording in the article as it's only talking about £1 apps or £1.49-£1.99

those apps are system sellers so, maybe, Apple would eat the currency fluctuation to keep them palatable.

They're already very fairly priced, though.

iamgalactic

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
those apps are system sellers so, maybe, Apple would eat the currency fluctuation to keep them palatable.

They're already very fairly priced, though.

Agreed that they're exceptionally well priced... LPX is by far and away the best DAW in my opinion. However a £50 price hike would certainly hurt. Was just curious if these would go up too as the article doesn't make mention of it.

timmyh

Contributing Editor
Mar 18, 2016
Edinburgh, UK
Does this apply to all apps? For instance, Logic Pro X / Final Cut Pro X? I was a little confused by the wording in the article as it's only talking about £1 apps or £1.49-£1.99.

Would I be right in saying that anything above £2 stays the same? :confused:

It applies to all tiers, I'm afraid - at least 25% more across the board. I've tweaked the wording to clarify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.