Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced official dates for the 35th annual Worldwide Developers Conference, which is set to begin on Monday, June 10. In its announcements, Apple sometimes gives us minor hints on what to expect, and Greg Joswiak is making some not-so-subtle references to AI.

hey-siri-banner-apple.jpg

In a tweet, Joswiak said that the WWDC 2024 event is going to be "Absolutely Incredible," and he deliberately capitalized the first two letters of each word, AI.

There have been multiple rumors suggesting that AI will be a major focus in iOS 18, macOS 15, and other operating system updates that are set to come out this year. Apple will add AI features to many of its built-in apps, and the company is in talk with Google and other companies about integrating an existing large language model (LLM) into iOS 18.

Over the course of the last few months, Apple executives have confirmed Apple's work on AI, Apple CEO Tim Cook said in February that Apple plans to "break new ground" on generative AI in 2024. "We believe it will unlock transformative opportunities for our users," said Cook.

Cook in November confirmed that Apple was "investing quite a bit" in AI, and during Apple's most recent earnings call, he said that Apple was spending a "tremendous amount of time and effort" on AI, with details set to come out later in 2024.

WWDC 2024 is set to take place during the week of June 10, and it will begin with a keynote event that will see the unveiling of iOS 18 and other operating system updates.

Article Link: Apple Hints at iOS 18 AI Announcements Coming at WWDC 2024

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
Privacy, first and foremost. Any mistakes or slips on this and it would seriously affect my view and trust of Apple and my data.

If I'm honest, i feel nervous about this.

I feel like they're just rushing into it, because everyone else is.

Id doubt it, but hope there is an option in future Apple OS to completely switch off all AI using third party services and software for the core OS.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Watch them not do anything with "AI" as we know it right now, and this is just a funny thing to get people talking. :p

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple today announced official dates for the 35th annual Worldwide Developers Conference, which is set to begin on Monday, June 10. In its announcements, Apple sometimes gives us minor hints on what to expect, and Greg Joswiak is making some not-so-subtle references to AI.
Alphabet Intelligence ;)

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Watch them not do anything with "AI" as we know it right now, and this is just a funny thing to get people talking. :p
Well, given that Tim literally said it during the quarterly earnings call, if they didn’t have any AI announcements for this year, he’d be in some pretty big trouble.
That is what’s called misleading investors

Reactions: SFjohn

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
The question with the current sorry state of Apple software development is what is going to broken or left broken while Cook drives Apple towards the "Fantastic" releases in the next Keynote.

Then we need to ask if the Keynote will be good enough for Cook to get his Oscars invite for next year.

Mic Drop.

Somewhere along this line maybe, just maybe, a few users will get a few bug fixes. But the bar for success here is pretty low.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
So curious how they are going to do this. They were caught flat footed on AI, I just hope they don't rush this and keep privacy in mind. I also hope they give us the ability to toggle features on and off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.