Apple Hires a Few Dozen Employees From Silicon Valley Data Science Startup

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has hired several data scientists from Silicon Valley Data Science, a consulting firm that offers data engineering and data science services, reports Bloomberg.

A few dozen employees from Silicon Valley Data Science joined Apple in December and January to help the company better use its data to improve its advertising efforts. According to the Silicon Valley Data Science website, the startup helped businesses improve customer retention, increase engagement, improve conversion rates, develop new revenue-generating data products, streamline operations, and more.

[​IMG]

At Apple, the team will work on ad-related analytics to bolster Apple's advertising efforts. One area of focus could be better optimizing App Store ads.

Founder and CEO of Silicon Valley Data Science Sanjay Mathur is one of the employees that has taken a position as Apple. His LinkedIn profile now says that he leads "strategy and analytics initiatives for a group at Apple."

Several other LinkedIn profiles from former Silicon Valley Data Science employees now list data scientist positions at Apple. The company's former CTO, for example, now works on "Algorithms," while the former Head of Data Science is now Apple's "Principal Data Scientist."

While the Silicon Valley Data Science website is still up, the company shut down in December and its services are no longer offered.

Article Link: Apple Hires a Few Dozen Employees From Silicon Valley Data Science Startup

2. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Uh oh. I hope this isn't the first crack in Apple's current privacy-first stance.

3. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

I don't blame them, but it's sad that so much research and top-notch talent is going into... advertising.

4. DevNull0, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018

DevNull0 macrumors 68020

Hey, Timmy....instead of profiling every scrap of data you can about me to manipulate me to buying more of your crap, how about hire a few dozen software engineers to cull the rapidly multiplying bugs in every single product you make.

That would be a lot more successful at getting me to buy Apple products than targeted ads for your current crop of bug-filled crap.

On the other hand, going by the atrocious quality of your ads for the past year, I welcome better targeted ads. If I never have to see another "what's a computer" ad again, it's almost worth giving you all my personal info and a psych profile.

5. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

If Apple’s products are crap why are you buying them?

6. zhang96 macrumors member

Title should be
    BREAKING NEWS: Apple Hires People.

7. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I am kind of surprised Apple would think they need any kind of help with advertising, given their ever increasing profits.

Why they aren't hiring more software engineers to take stress off that one team and make things right, is puzzling.

8. DevNull0, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018

DevNull0 macrumors 68020

Tim Cook is more like a John Sculley. Product development is pretty irrelevant and it's all about advertising and the fashion image. As Sculley learned, that road is paved with gold and platinum but dead-ends around a sharp bend.

When Apple is so profitable, software engineers don't generate revenue, marketing people do.

Also, to clarify one thing, "a consulting firm that offers data engineering and data science services" is not about advertising, it's about analyzing every scrap of data that they possibly can to build unique profiles of each user. Then they use that information to provide targeted advertising and promos. Google are the masters of this and that's why they have a reputation as evil invaders of privacy. Amazon also excels in that space. It's troubling to see Apple moving in that direction as they are, up until now at least, the one refuge from that. I have been happy to pay the Apple tax in $$$ all these years rather than the google tax in personal data.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2018 ---
    Oh, I missed where it's listed in the forum rules that you have to love every single thing Apple does to be here.

It is certainly not good for the consumer if Apple is jumping full force into the data mining of personal data game.

And you don't know why I'm using Apple products. It's possible I have to use Apple products for professional reasons. It's also possible that I still believe Apple are the best products on the market despite their current lack of quality control. It's also possible I'm so vested in the Apple eco system that leaving is no easy task.

The reality is I like my MBP better than another other laptop on the market and I'm not planning on leaving the Mac any time soon, but the software is far from flawless and far buggier than it was a few years ago. Frankly I'd also own a mac desktop too if they still made a reasonably powerful, reasonably priced desktop without a built in screen. I've owned a lot of mac minis ending the the 2012 i7 quad core.

Just read every article about their software releases the past few months, they're riddled with bugs. You'd really rather live in a world where nobody is allowed to talk about that and just pretend everything Apple does is perfect and wonderful? Thankfully we don't live in that world.

9. bromosa macrumors newbie

bromosa

Damn, I used to work in their building on the top floor. Never really saw a lot of activity in there.

10. WatchFromAfar macrumors 68000

WatchFromAfar

Here's the sad truth, I agree with the above poster, maybe the Mac isn't the best anymore and people who claim they're locked into the eco-system; well more fool them.

11. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

Genuine post... hope you can continue using Apple products in the manner that suits your needs.

One MR user posted how he's willing to pay a 20% premium on Mac products, but not to the tune of 2x to 3x the amount vs. the competition. When a Mac user jumps ship is pretty much a matter whether or not that threshold in price gets reached where the Mac user goes from "I don't want to use Windows b/c it's ****, so I'll suck it up and pay the premium" vs. "I don't want to use Windows b/c it's ****, but I can't justify paying THOSE prices anymore". :(

12. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Thanks for the clarification (staring at this machine for too long today.) I sort of figured that with Face ID Apple is moving toward potentially data mining their users.

Yeah, I love Apple's computers and phone when they work, but the software and hardware mistakes, bugs and choices these past two years have been unfortunate to say the least. I'm cross platform now, but would love an updated Mac Mini which I could count on. I'd give Apple more money than I did last year if I knew their software was more secure and had far fewer bugs.

13. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I don’t care if Apple uses any information they have about me to see me Apple related products...but that’s where it ends.

14. Soccertess macrumors 65816

so true. I think something is also severely wrong with Tim, the fish rots from the head as they say.

15. asdf072 macrumors newbie

Because the alternative is Windows.

16. Mascots, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018

Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

Considering the initiative is to improve the ads within the App Store, I as a developer am more than happy to hear this. It means more sales across a more relevant demographic, which leads to better rentention, and a better experience in general for everyone. Let's remember: Facebook mines your data to make you more valuable to their customer, Apple really only does it to hook you into their technology and most other instances they try normally suck.

Also, hiring these few people isn't preventing work from being done, relevant hires from happening, or attention from being drawn to all of your software related woes. Besides, the decisions made in this article most likely has little to do with Tim at all, but hey: that hate train.

IMO, the rampant ridiculous complaints have been the most annoying and worst part of iOS 11 of this release.

17. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

Is Linux not viable? AFAIK, there are some commercial or "niche" software that's supported by OSX?

18. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

I agree with you it's great news for devs.

As a consumer though, how is Apple collecting my personal data for the purposes of profiling me a good thing? We can't speak for what Apple is going to do, and I'm not pre-judging them in this case, but what every other company does is pure evil, and I'm hoping Apple doesn't become one more in that crowd.

Remember when Google's motto was "Don't be Evil"? Neither do they, but it once was. I think using the phone's microphone to monitor what you're watching on TV is pretty evil. Android does that and I really don't want to see Apple do it too.

19. ackmondual macrumors 65816

ackmondual

That's the thing... AFAIK, somebody at Google said that, but it never got adapted as an official motto.

Then you have this...

... where Apple's becoming more and more like the Big Brother that they mocked in the ad. However, even Apple fans have told me they were always like that. They just did a better job of hiding it is all.

20. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

Apparently you're right, they talked about it but never made it official. They did put it in their IPO prospectus, I wonder if putting it in there counts as being evil when they didn't mean it :).