Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Looks like they're getting serious!! Awesome news!

Yep, it's just a few years after Amazon started it and now that Google is in it....

Apple sure has a vision of the future, it's just a bit late and kind of derivative.

Perhaps they need to pay a few extra million to Cook and team...? Or just fire them?

stevet

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Whats the over/under on how long this guy's going to put up with the stagnant bureaucracy that appears to be going on at Apple? I give him 18 months. When he realizes that all the research he as done will not be accepted by the higher ups at Apple, he'll bail.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hopefully these actions show that Apple needs to step up to the plate and improve Siri. Outside of telling Siri to play a given song, or artist, I don't use it.

With Siri being hands free, it is nice to use it to set alarms, turn something on or off, reminders, alerts, etc. Siri does well with smaller tasks and when Apple introduced the M10 coprocessor to be used off the charger, it really did provide freedom to use Siri without even having pick up your iPhone. Very useful in the car per se for text messages being Read audibly or directions, allowing the driver to stay focused on the roadway.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
If Apple allows top researchers to publish, and not lock up their research inside Apple's notoriously tight security apparatus, they will likely be able to hire and put together a far better advanced research lab.

That’s what I think as well. The more interesting aspect is that Apple allows and contributes to external research again. They investment into Chris Lattner’s work at the time paid off well and they should do it more often.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Siri was cool in 2011, but is currently where I expected it to be in 2013. They haven't kept up with the rest of the industry. Why? Secrecy. The culture for all of these researchers is collaborative, open source work where they share results and help each other iterate and build better software. I read somewhere that Google's people are regularly contributing to the community of research around AI, machine learning, neural networks—whatever it may be. Secrecy is a big deal with Apple, but the type of people who are passionate about this aren't interested in working at places like that. They don't thrive in a vacuum isolated from their peers.

That might play a small part, but I'd posit it's more due to two things: 1) lack of clear vision and leadership the last several years about what role Siri should take within the ecosystem, and 2) Apple chose to do things the hard way, by trying to maintain user privacy while also using machine learning. It's a bit easier when you're Google and can sift through every user's personal data on their servers.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Really, when it comes to AI there's nobody driving the bus at Apple.

I mean, what do people really want an AI to help with?

What would really help would be mail. Why not use an AI to actually organize your inbox and calendar? Threaded mail is a complete failure; after a few reply-alls it degenerates into a mess.

Heck, even using AI to help find things would be great. Keyword searching basically breaks down after you have a large number of things. Why not figure out what I'm looking for then display the results instead of showing everything with the word "summary" in it?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There's no chance of this.

I wouldn't say the chances are zero. There are already counter-examples of Apple exposing past advanced research in patent applications, and in open source contributions (ResearchKit and Swift, et.al.) Advancing Swift requires a ton of open collaboration with the outside community, and the same can be said of some of the current trends in machine learning and DNNs.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Too little, too late....the competition is too far ahead.
I share your opinion and it also makes me sad. What has Apple been doing the last 4-5 years? They've let every competitor come close or even ahead of them. Is every Apple employee busy with choosing new paint and carpet in their new office? I even don't think there will come some kind of surprise new tech/software out of Apple because everything from phones to EarPods have been on rumorsites or introduced by competitors months before it comes to market.

The saddest thing is that I don't even recommend Apple to my friends and family anymore. Never thought this was a possibility :(

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Siri and Obama are very similar, they both regurgitate the same false statements over and over again regardless of how differently you ask them, and often will start talking about something that had nothing to do with what you asked. This is why Siri, and Obama, can never be considered smart.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That might play a small part, but I'd posit it's more due to two things: 1) lack of clear vision and leadership the last several years about what role Siri should take within the ecosystem, and 2) Apple chose to do things the hard way, by trying to maintain user privacy while also using machine learning. It's a bit easier when you're Google and can sift through every user's personal data on their servers.
That last part is true, and Apple is addressing that with differential privacy. But even so, there are so many things that Siri should be able to do that she can't. So many simple questions that she can't answer. So many contextual interactions that she completely misses. Being able to string together a series of commands such as "When is X happening?" and she tells you and then "Ok, add it to my calendar" and Siri gets confused about what is going on. To me, that is inexcusable. Or you can't ask simple things like when high tide is. I just asked her "When is high tide in Melbourne Beach Florida" and she told me Friday, April 1, 1988. Seriously. Easily available public information. She never knew the medal counts during the Olympics either, and for years she didn't know what the heat index was—I had to ask her what the "perceived temperature" was. At least they fixed that. I'd be happy with Siri just knowing public information first before diving into my private information.

Reactions: HJM.NL

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
About time Apple put some serious R&D into Siri instead of wasting time with an Apple-branded car (Can you imagine what they would charge for a car!) Apple has spent the past decade introducing software and services and resting on their laurels before those things have reached their potential.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
That last part is true, and Apple is addressing that with differential privacy. But even so, there are so many things that Siri should be able to do that she can't. So many simple questions that she can't answer. So many contextual interactions that she completely misses. Being able to string together a series of commands such as "When is X happening?" and she tells you and then "Ok, add it to my calendar" and Siri gets confused about what is going on. To me, that is inexcusable. Or you can't ask simple things like when high tide is. I just asked her "When is high tide in Melbourne Beach Florida" and she told me Friday, April 1, 1988. Seriously. Easily available public information. She never knew the medal counts during the Olympics either, and for years she didn't know what the heat index was—I had to ask her what the "perceived temperature" was. At least they fixed that. I'd be happy with Siri just knowing public information first before diving into my private information.

And we only speak about the English version of Siri. Believe me, the Dutch version is a real disaster. Not to mention AppleTV 4 relies on it. The Siri part of Apple TV 4 is disabled in the Netherlands. So why even sell it here.

Siri, maps, all the things that define tech future is a disaster on Apple. Maybe they double down on it now, but I think that's the same what Nokia was doing when the iPhone came out. Too little, too late.

Apple doesn't listen what their customers want. They still think they're the best in phones, computers. Maybe that's the VR/AR world Tim Cook is living in. Definitely not the real world.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
This appears to be just for show and not real change. Granted this person has a lot of academic experience but very little real industry experience.

Apple should've snatched up Demis Hassabis when they had the chance.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Siri and Obama are very similar, they both regurgitate the same false statements over and over again regardless of how differently you ask them, and often will start talking about something that had nothing to do with what you asked. This is why Siri, and Obama, can never be considered smart.
This the best you can contribute?

Reactions: jennyp

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
I like the fact that Apple recognizes Sir's limitations and are actively fixing those limitations. Wish them all the best as voice integration will continue to be an intrigal part of our everyday devices.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
With Siri being hands free, it is nice to use it to set alarms, turn something on or off, reminders, alerts, etc. Siri does well with smaller tasks and when Apple introduced the M10 coprocessor to be used off the charger, it really did provide freedom to use Siri without even having pick up your iPhone. Very useful in the car per se for text messages being Read audibly or directions, allowing the driver to stay focused on the roadway.
But only if you know exactly how to word your requests. That's where it's constantly falling short, is context and interpretation.

Reactions: Defthand

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
i must be in the minority but i couldnt care less about AI. the last thing i wanna do is start talking to my devices, i already hate phone calls. i rather tap on a button than to think of a command, especially after a day of work i am glad when i do not have to talk in the evening too

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007

Wow! Trailer park dwellers are starting to discover Siri!

I bet you are offended because Siri insists that the Earth is not flat....

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But only if you know exactly how to word your requests. That's where it's constantly falling short, is context and interpretation.

I personally haven't experienced to many issues with dictation, deciphering what the user says is another topic. There are times that Siri struggles understanding defining a word or definition, which Google Voice has been phenomenal with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.