Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would expect any of the new hires to bring new and clearly voiced insights to the table that in the end also determine what might go into HW, frameworks changes etc. Giving a few new guys some impact on real world decisions is something Apple is usually really good at. So, a bit of new blood, and brain, basically.

Especially for VR/AR I would expect them to allow Apple a better overview of current developments (not necessarily only their own) and the current depth estimation based in stereoscopic or motion-based imaging might also get a quality and speed boost by adding a deep learning processing level as well as some more HW mods.

I’d expect more in terms of realtime spacial analysis but don’t want to spoil the surprise :)

Much better.

Although Apple really needs to have a more consistent UI between their systems:
iTunes OS X app vs iTunes on iOS ...
> Songs: Why am I losing at Album art/artist in portrait view vs ALL songs by Title|Artists|Album in a "detailed view" were I can select PLAY and enjoy them top to bottom -OR- jump to a specific song? I have to into 1.Artist, 2.Album 3.Song JUST to play a damn song! WHY?!

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
Um ... that seems like a lot of Apple PR fluff. In his experience and forty there is nothing REALLY to add to AR other than camera and depth perception quality really.

Which would be the least but not the worst outcome.

"deep learning processing level" his expertise I highly doubt will assist in "deep learning processing level" that current Apple staff doesn't already know and working on.

I didn't refer to the latest hire only. If it takes big money to bring some great people to one table, Apple can be quite good at that. Sometimes they seem a bit cheap, OTH they seem to learn... At least in that area.

And about Apple staff: Currently I really welcome any new (software) expert hires at high levels, as that might fight some of the less positive developments in Apple's culture lately.
[doublepost=1554943055][/doublepost]
Much better.

Although Apple really needs to have a more consistent UI between their systems:
iTunes OS X app vs iTunes on iOS ...
> Songs: Why am I losing at Album art/artist in portrait view vs ALL songs by Title|Artists|Album in a "detailed view" were I can select PLAY and enjoy them top to bottom -OR- jump to a specific song? I have to into 1.Artist, 2.Album 3.Song JUST to play a damn song! WHY?!

It's an industry standard. I'm using Tidal and they also seem to work hard on implementing these kind of surprises.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

CordovaLark

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2018
Factual evidence that VR is going nowhere.
The last grasp is AR. It's still rocking the hype train (as VR did) so we're going to have to hear about all its promises for sometime yet to come.

The future is not about staring at a screen while engaging in the real world- as much as the electronics companies want us to think so

Don't tell Sony, or Valve, or even Facebook that. Sony easily made a hundred million on the PSVR alone(latest count is 4.2 million purchased) not to mention the games several more. Never mind the R&D they have gotten on the current gen to build a successor.

Archer_ID

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2016
Apple will eventually come out with a multi-sensory leather headset with BeatsPro earphones. The headset will be able to do 2-D, A/R and V/R. This will replace the TV as we know it. This will become a killer device as big as the iPhone.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Apple is late chasing a VR market that has already lost steam. Biggest obstruction to VR adoption is having to wear a bulky contraption on your head. Until that is solved VR will go nowhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.