Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Hires Toronto Doctor 'to Help Chart the Future of Family Medicine' With Apps

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has hired Toronto healthcare doctor Mike Evans "to help chart the future of family medicine" at the company, although the specifics of his role have not been disclosed (via CBC).

Evans was said to catch Apple's attention through a series of videos he's posted on his YouTube channel, called DocMikeEvans, where he narrates discussions about health and mindfulness topics over cartoon characters.

Evans previously held a position as a staff physician at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto, and is said to already have started his "digital health care work" at Apple. For the time being, he plans to communicate between his home of Toronto and Cupertino, while his son finishes high school. Apple had already approached Evans about a position at the company, which he turned down the first time, but said he eventually was won over by the company's messaging.
"I think why they are engaging me is the messaging," Evans told Matt Galloway on CBC's Metro Morning on Monday. "We're searching for consistency, not perfection."

"It's exciting. It's a bit nauseating and anxiety-provoking. We love Toronto but it's a chance to live another chapter of our lives somewhere else. I'm super-excited."
Evans' hiring also aligns with Apple's recent push into healthcare initiatives, especially with the doctor's beliefs on how technology can help with the treatment of sick individuals. Eventually, he sees a future where apps are "prescribed" to help guide patients through their prescription routine, diagnosis, and even diet, so as to balance out how little doctors see each patient throughout the year.

"What happens now is I see you. Let's say you have high blood pressure. I prescribe you a pill for that. I see you two or three times a year," he said.

"In future, I'll prescribe you an app. One of our whiteboards will drop in and explain what high blood pressure is. The phone will be bluetoothed to the cap of your pills. I'll nudge you towards a low salt diet. All of these things will all happen in your phone. I see you two or three days a year. The phone sees you everyday."
It's easy to see how his ideas could potentially fit into Apple's HealthKit platform, bolstered by apps on both the iPhone and even Apple Watch. Apple is continually trying to push itself to help customers live healthier lives, which it's begun to do through company acquisitions, new advertisements, and the announcement of the fitness-focused Apple Watch Series 2. Earlier in the year, CEO Tim Cook discussed Apple's push into the "next frontiers," including health initiatives, on Mad Money.

Article Link: Apple Hires Toronto Doctor 'to Help Chart the Future of Family Medicine' With Apps

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
Apple:

After we spent 30 years creating products that do THIS to our customers...
image.jpeg

We want you to use another one of our gadgets to do THIS instead.
image.jpeg

Reactions: GrumpyMom
Comment

dysamoria

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2011
"For the time being, he plans to communicate between his home of Toronto and Cupertino, while his son finishes high school."

Telecommute? Commute?

???

Comment

RoboCop001

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
He's from Toronto! And.... I'M from Toronto........ that means............wait .................... that means it's kind of like I'M joining Apple! I am Apple. I hope they change the sign at NPS to say Applonto. Applonto forever. Spread the word.

Comment

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 603
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
"I'll prescribe you an app"
"Which app, Doctor?"
"Pokemon Go, go outside and move your ass!"

At my PT office, the secretary was shocked to see so many kids out walking around. She hoped that Pokemon Go would stay fresh and keep kids interested, so they would get out more.

Free Range Kids!
[doublepost=1474384133][/doublepost]
Apple's entire business model (which relies on people buying more and more each year) contradicts Evans' philosophy of mindfulness and appreciating what we already have.

:rolleyes: Details...

Comment

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
He's from Toronto! And.... I'M from Toronto........ that means............wait .................... that means it's kind of like I'M joining Apple! I am Apple. I hope they change the sign at NPS to say Applonto. Applonto forever. Spread the word.
Go outside and enjoy the nice September air.

Comment

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Apple's entire business model (which relies on people buying more and more each year) contradicts Evans' philosophy of mindfulness and appreciating what we already have.

That's greedy consumers, not Apple's business model. There's nothing wrong with using tech (from Apple or others) even after a new model is released. I own:

- 5 year old MBP early 2011 MBP
- 2 year old iPhone 6
- 1.5 year old Apple Watch Sport
- 4 year old HP MicroServer N54L

If Apple wanted people to buy new things every year they wouldn't be offering software updates for 4 year old iPads and iPhones. We'd get a security patch at best and no new OS.

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Go outside and enjoy the nice September air.
I was just outside with my dog awhile ago. It's humid and someone bought the last parcel of pristine land in our semi-rural neighborhood and is building a McMansion on it. The air is full of grit and the smell of porta-potties. Huge trucks and machines have carved massive ruts filled with standing water and mosquitoes. So much for nice September air, I guess.

Sadly, we moved out here to enjoy the open spaces. We asked the family who is developing the land why they were doing this here of all places and they said it was because the setting was so peaceful and natural. Sigh.

Getting back to the good doctor, here, I don't normally comment on people's looks, but there is something unsettling about his expression in that photo. He's probably a very nice guy but some photographers who take those corporate photographs have a way of making people look either really derpy or really sinister. I'm starting to wonder if the photographers have a special Hannibal Lecter filter they use for corporate photographs. They've hit my poor husband with that filter a few times. Before that, he got the derpy filter. I always managed to look lost and confused in my corporate photos.

I do think what he and Apple are trying to do will be very helpful. But for those of us with dangerous chronic and/or hereditary conditions and a predisposition for cancer or other life threatening issues, there is no substitute for access to a real doctor and monitoring by a real doctor.

Sadly, not all of us can afford this access. I could not, until just a few years ago. Even when I could finally afford it, it was really hard getting appointments with my doctor and though I have not dropped her altogether, having to wait months for a non emergency appointment for a sinus infection is insane, so I had to find a second doctor. I only just found a doctor who has good availability but I have to pay sort of a membership fee to be in his practice. But he saved me from developing a very gruesome hereditary cancer. Thanks to good monitoring I could live a long life. Without monitoring, I will likely die a nasty painful death. Meanwhile there are many changes I can make to my diet to help me delay, though not completely avoid a recurrence of what I went through a few months ago.

If Apple really dedicated to this sector, they could do some real good until we can somehow do something about healthcare access in my country.

Comment

docziandras

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
I think this is a good, forward thinking hire which makes Apple stand out from the competition in my eyes. They are committed to health and a relevant hire with the same visionary mentality is hopefully going to lead to some good ideas coming into realisation.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.