Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I'd say it's for the next MacBook Pros.

2011 will be all about Macs and OS X 10.7.

Highly unlikely. While using soft aluminum for MBPs was a stupid idea it was less stupid than using glass for iPhones. iPhones should be redesigned first.

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Please!!

:eek::eek::eek:
For all that is holy and sacrimonious! Please let this mean Jonny Ive is on his way out.

The new materials need a new and cutting edge designer. Not like the current hack who has brought shiny, magical, hideousness and design flaws to EVERY product.

Combine the science and the art, it will be awesome. No more bad art from subpar materials from the feminine mind of Jonny Ive. :rolleyes:

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
For all that is holy and sacrimonious! Please let this mean Jonny Ive is on his way out.

The new materials need a new and cutting edge designer. Not like the current hack who has brought shiny, magical, hideousness and design flaws to EVERY product.

Combine the science and the art, it will be awesome. No more bad art from subpar materials from the feminine mind of Jonny Ive. :rolleyes:

who did you have in mind?

If you can't get a name then how about just name a company that has flawLESS cutting edge design, I'd love to check it out =)

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
who did you have in mind?

A relative unknown. There will be more innovation and motivation.

Experience is irrelevant when it comes to fields like design. Experienced engineers and a young, new designer with little technology experience.

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
As far as i understand it, anything which is transparent must consist of "big" crystals, like normal glass. Liquid metal seems to be the opposite, so i do not see transparent liquid metal in the near future.

True. Plus, the glass back will definitely stay. Apple is getting people used to the idea of cases with no back. The iPhone5 will have the same design but the glass back will be multi-touch for scrolling and gaming.

Imagine it while you hold your phone now and tell me it isn't coming. I dare you! :mad:

:p

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010

Stevo will not fire his bff Johnny Ive, sorry.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
No T2 jokes yet? Remember, it can only be formed into stabbing weapons, not complex machines. :D

Arnold won't be Governor forever. He has a little experience with liquid metal.

The next Apple computer won't be named Lisa, It will be named Sarah.

Shield

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Canada
iphone_terminator.jpg

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
You're likely right that the next models are already designed and being tested. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that those models don't utilize this technology: remember that this isn't a new technology being researched, it's something that's been around and that Apple has actually used. It could very well be that they've designed and prototyped, say, the next iPhone as an LM product, and being happy with the results, decided to buy the sole rights to lock out competitors in preparation for eventual mass production.

You're more likely right then wrong. Apple has got to have much more hard evidence that this technology is the way to go then a simple SIM card removal tool.
The first interation of LM being used could well be a simple switch from using a tooled component to a LM component. Right now, Apple is making their aluminum components the brute force way...even having some manufactured on equipment designed to make prototypes.
The next step beyond that would be to use LM methods to make components that couldn't be tooled. At any rate, Apple should be able to cut costs and production time with LM to be more competitive with knock-off brands and still maintain their insane margins.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
It's possible it will find its way into iDevice and Macbook Pro lines. It all depends on the cost and machinability of the material in bulk. That's why they're hiring these guys.

nicemonster

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
A relative unknown. There will be more innovation and motivation.

Experience is irrelevant when it comes to fields like design. Experienced engineers and a young, new designer with little technology experience.

That is completely backwards. Emphasizing engineering experience over design experience is why there are so many ugly products in the technology market. It takes serious design skills developed over time to resolve human factors and end up with products that are as clean and minimal as those achieved by Apple. Their reliance on software to strip away buttons and mechanical controls requires a hand-in-glove relationship between industrial design and software design, and some young new designer with little tech experience is not going to be able to handle the rigors of that process.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
That is completely backwards. Emphasizing engineering experience over design experience is why there are so many ugly products in the technology market. It takes serious design skills developed over time to resolve human factors and end up with products that are as clean and minimal as those achieved by Apple. Their reliance on software to strip away buttons and mechanical controls requires a hand-in-glove relationship between industrial design and software design, and some young new designer with little tech experience is not going to be able to handle the rigors of that process.

The problem with design is that experience can hamper design thinking in some ways, and a sense of what is "right design" is not really teachable but does come with experience.
The junior designers at Apple, slaving away under Jonny Ive, are getting the kind of experience that comes from sitting at the feet of a master designer, while an experienced designer coming out of Microsoft has learned the wrong stuff, if anything.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
As far as i understand it, anything which is transparent must consist of "big" crystals, like normal glass. Liquid metal seems to be the opposite, so i do not see transparent liquid metal in the near future.

Look it up; glass is not a crystal, it's amorphous solid, like liquid metal. If one were to make a crystal out of pure aluminum you would have the basis of rubies and emeralds, but clear.

The Corning Glass company does have a type of glass that is right for portable devices, called gorilla glass. It gains its strength chemically. It too is not a crystal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM-Y-aaFb_o

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Highly unlikely. While using soft aluminum for MBPs was a stupid idea it was less stupid than using glass for iPhones. iPhones should be redesigned first.

Thinking that aluminum is soft shows you have no knowledge of aluminum alloys or how differently aluminum behaves after it's been anodized. It's a remarkable material in the hands of a metallurgical engineer/designer.

Glass, on the other hand, it an excellent choice of material that won't absorb the RF energy of the antenna, thus giving the user a stronger signal with less draw on the power source. The other choice would have been ceramic.

When a company is pushing the envelope with design it is often also pushing the envelope of the materials it uses. It's risky territory, which Apple has been very fortunate to have ventured into without serious mishaps so far.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
One former Liquidmetal executive has speculated that Apple is planning to use Liquidmetal alloys in future iPhone models.

duh, really ? :rolleyes:

( Sorry, I can't help myself. It's just common sense isn't it?
They've acquired the company so of course they are going to use it for either macbooks and iphones,
ipads and other future products. One doesn't need a former liquidmetal executive to confirm what should be plain obvious)

Can't stand this type of reporting.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I'd say it's for the next MacBook Pros.

2011 will be all about Macs and OS X 10.7.

My thoughts too. Unibody devices without the expensive tooling now required, both MacBooks, iPads and hand held devices!

The need to use expensive and relatively slow equipment to manufacture current Apple hardware has to be replaced if production is to ramp up dramatically and more quickly. This is the perfect solution. I have never seen a product made with LiquidMetal, I hope it has the feeling of solidity that the current MBP et al. have with the machines aluminum block approach which is due to a mix of both the tactile and a sense of weight. I assume it does. Getting used to a lighter product may take some time for our brains to believe it is a strong but I am sure we will all adapt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.