Apple/Hitachi 500GB HD Failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stokes, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Stokes macrumors regular

Hey Guys,
    My 15" MBP is just outside of the 1 year guarantee, and the hard drive has failed. The HD is a Hitachi and came factory in my MBP and is Apple marked. It has a build date of March 2010, so just under 2 years old.

Do you know if Apple would be helpful with this? Do I need to go to Hitachi? I see Hitachi guarantee some drives for 1, 2, or 3 years, but I can't tell where this drive would fall into.

Thanks for the insights!

2. jekyoo macrumors 6502

I know hdd manufacturers have their own warranty when you buy a hdd from a 3rd party retailer but I don't know if they do with hdd that come with a purchased computer. I would email hitachi to see if they'll do a warranty service for you.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This is an oem drive meaning Apple buys them in bulk and handles warranty issues. The same goes for other PC manufacturers. You can most likely verify this information on Hitachi's site.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

There have been many cases where Apple have helped out in situations like this, OP: Contact them, explain the situation...You may find they will help you out, even though your Warranty has expired.

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Sounds like an excuse to upgrade to a hybrid drive, to me :D