apple hooked it up!!! iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcfox316, Aug 11, 2011.

1. mcfox316 macrumors newbie

so i had my iphone 4 for a year, dropped it in lake george a few days ago, retrieved it about 12 hours later and it was fried after sittin in rice for a few days. i bring it to the apple store expecting to shell out 150-200 for repair/replacement/anything to get phone workin. genius comes over to me, i just said it didnt work, he scans my sim card, sees that im out of warranty but never got repairs for it, and says, "ok one minute, wait here, ill go get your new phone" AND BAM!!! FREE IPHONE IN PERFECT CONDITION. thank you apple:apple::):D:p;):apple::rolleyes::):D:eek:

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Okay first of all Lake George is an awesome place, we go there a couple of times a year, so relaxing, great lake and town to visit. Second, good on you and Apple, it is amazing what going into an Apple store and acting like a normal person can get you. No reason to lie, scam, cheat or whatever, just bring it in and see what they can do to help you.

3. dseig001 macrumors member

+1000

The Apple Store always treats me right, always helps out without the pressure to buy, and always has me leave a happy guy.

If I'm drinking to Kool-Aid, that's fine. I like the Kool-Aid.

4. cshearer macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

I second all this. I've only ever had good experiences there. None of my purchases were pressured, and they're open and honest. Even today when I was talking to a rep about the need for Time Capsule with iCloud on the horizon, when I mentioned I actually have pulled files from my iPod classic the guy gave me a joking "tisk tisk" expression. I thought it was pretty funny.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

How were you able to find and get it out of the lake?

6. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i had a similar incident a few weeks ago at the apple store near me. i jumped in a pool with my iphone in my pocket. i was only in the water for about 10 seconds and the phone was fried. i told the genius what happened and they replaced my phone free of charge as well. i was and still am ever grateful for their amazing customer service

7. Boen macrumors member

I too had a similar experience, not once, but twice! Once very recently with iPhone4 with a cracked screen after a bad drop in parking lot. First time was with 3GS...it was my very first iPhone and had it less than 24 hours when I shattered it. I'm pretty sure I should stop dropping them! :eek:

8. kicko macrumors 65816

I think It's pretty cool that you guys got the hook up even in cases where they don't normally.

I thought i read before that when a new iPhone is around the corner they start replacing tons of them for what ever reason just to reduce stock.

9. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

Ditto.

10. ichabodkky macrumors member

Come on guys.... iPhone has a GPS......:rolleyes:

11. mcfox316 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i dropped it off the dock late at night after one too many drinks. the water was about 15ft deep, the iphone was down there layin on its back, and the screen was shining on with my home screen for about 2 minutes so i jumped down in the water to try n get it. by the time i got my eyes under the water it turned off, so next day i came back with some goggles and retreived it. had to smoke a fatty after that ****! hahahaha

12. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Interesting story you have there haha

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If it's Lake George, New South Wales it'd be easy. Just walk out onto the grass and pick it up. Phone wouldn't even be wet.

Attached Files:

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Guess you missed that part?

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Have To Say

I had a minor glitch with my first ATV. It wasn't faulty, and I helped to track down the server issue that was causing them to drop connection before updates are finished.

I got...Free ATV, Free optic and network cables, MAJOR discount on my new iMac, even though I would have bought it anyway, and loaded software that should have cost me £££$$$

Customer service for me at least has been superb. Okay I know people, but those involved with all this were just Apple support crew.:)

BIG thumbs up although I guess it does vary.

16. EddyP macrumors 6502

Cool story bro. :) Seriously. I love Lake George. (I assume we're talking about Lake George NY). We'll be there in two weeks.

For those curious how he found it, the lake is pretty clear. It has become dirtier over the years, but it's still the clearest body of water I have even swam in. You'd have no problem seeing down 15 feet under water. Probably an easy find.

I think I have told the story 50 times on here but I just had my original launch day iPad replaced after I dropped it. Out of warranty by about 3 months. They said something to the effect of "you've never had a problem or had it replaced?" "nope" "OK, here's a new one"

Needless to say, that made my day. I won't be one of those people who bitch because the phone has a warm tint and demand a replacement. Probably a better chance I'll get an another out of warranty hook up.

17. bolshoi macrumors newbie

Happened with me twice.

My 3GS fell off a counter 20 days out of warranty. I checked it out and everything seemed to work. I immediately thought that my Otterbox Defender was well worth its' price. The next day I discovered that the touchscreen's lower third was working inconsistently. Off to the Apple Store.

The genius checked out the phone to confirm the problem. I was surprised that he only checked for water damage and didn't ask me about how the phone became defective. He checked the warranty and told me it was 20 day off warranty with a long face. The he asks, "Are you going to buy another iPhone?" I replied, "The next version." He asked me to wait while he went to the back. He returned with an identical 3GS as a straight exchange with a 90 day warranty. I was mentally prepared to spend >$900 for a new iPhone 4, so I was flabbergasted.

About a month later, I synced my iPhone with my laptop and left it to charge. I checked it about two hours later and it was showing the iTunes screen and was too hot to touch. I unplugged it so it could cool off. When I plugged it in again, it was bricked. Off to the Apple Store.

This time the genius checked for water damage, attempted to turn it on, checked the warranty, and walked to the back of the store. He returned with another 3GS, told me I had another 90 day warranty and to have a nice day. The whole process took about 4-5 minutes. Again, I was prepped to purchase a new iPhone 4 and they surprised me.

I cannot imagine receiving this level of service from my mobile service provider. They charged me $20 rental fee for a temporary phone while my new HTC smartphone went off for warranty repairs.

I may only have a slight inkling as to how and why Apple can offer this level of customer service. But I do know the results. My first Apple product was my 3GS. Then my HTPC was a Mac Mini. Then my new server was a Mac Mini Server. Then I developed a hobby with an ATV2. Pretty good results for the cost of a couple of replacement iPhones.

18. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I guess I won't be buying AppleCare next time.

19. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

20. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've gotten a new iPhone 4 from the store several months ago. No big deal at all. My previous one was acting up, crashing, etc. Lady took my phone and ran tests on it, then came out with a new iPhone.

It was great.

21. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

I would sure hope so. Apple overcharge for sub par hardware. In essense, all of us overpay so a few of us can get replacement phones for free. Think of it as insurance. Charge everyone and hope you only have to pay back to a few.

What boggles my mind though is that people come on here and boast about the above fact not realising that you have already paid for a 2nd device and then some.

22. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You're going to pay the same for an iPhone that you would for a premium smartphone from most other manufacturers on any other carrier ($199 - $299). Obviously this is my opinion but Apple provides a better product for that price by using higher quality materials (glass, aluminum, stainless steel rather than plastic).

How is that overpaying?

23. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Had the same thing happen to me recently. Replaced with no questions asked. Even the genius who helped me was a cutie ;)

24. twitt3r macrumors 6502

See, Apple can do things like this when you pay twice as much overall for the phone in the first place.

25. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

let the stoning began..........