Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
stanley-cup-apple-park.jpg

Finally, Apple announce the design of the new, expandable Mac Pro...
I can already imagine it. So beautiful…

nhl mac pro.jpg

jkool

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I heard the Oil's goalie was invited to this too, but the Town Hall auditorium beat him five-hole.

Reactions: Moyapilot

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Niche sport? It outdraws the NBA.
Actually, the average attendance for last year for both leagues were about the same. The NBA’s tv viewership was about 3x as the NHL.
[doublepost=1548679577][/doublepost]
Hockey is a big deal. Maybe not for you.

I personally couldn’t care less about football, and it gets zero of my time.
Of course for every fan their sport is a big deal. That’s why they are called fans. To each their own.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Actually, the average attendance for last year for both leagues were about the same. The NBA’s tv viewership was about 3x as the NHL.
Of course for every fan their sport is a big deal. That’s why they are called fans. To each their own.

IIRC, the growth rate of NHL is one of the fastest pro sports in North america right now. it's insane how much the NHL has grown in popularity and wealth over the last few years, nevermind 3 decades.

when Bettman (I know, Boo, Boo) took over as commissioner, the league was worth approximately 200-400m. today it's worth over 6 Billion. has 31 (the 32nd coming to Seattle in a year). almost every franchise is financially viable. There is a healthy cap. and theres' more parity on the ice now than ever before.

The game is also the fastest and probably highest skilled I've seen it in my entire life as the sport has moved genrally away from goonmanship to fast, talented younger talent.

if you're not a Hockey fan, nows the time to jump on board for the greatest sport on earth.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
IIRC, the growth rate of NHL is one of the fastest pro sports in North america right now. it's insane how much the NHL has grown in popularity and wealth over the last few years, nevermind 3 decades.

I terms of revenue growth, the NHL, NBA and MLB all grew about the same % the last decade, the NFL grew about a quarter more.

if you're not a Hockey fan, nows the time to jump on board for the greatest sport on earth.

It’s a fun sport and I like to watch it but personally it is not the greatest in my opinion. One challenge it has is getting people to understand the game, especially since it isn’t typically played in youth leagues in much of North America; especially compared to the other major sports. To put it into perspective, field hockey participation grew more than ice hockey in the US. To really grow hockey needs to grow new fans beyond those who may have had family members who were fans, since those are essentially replacements and not growth. When I lived in an area with a team they held events to bring in kids to watch an exhibition to try to build a home team fan base; but many of the fans that went to games were transplants that only went when their team visited which made it hard to grow.

Waterndirt

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2014
California
As an avid hockey fan, I use the NHL.com website and its SAP produced stats page regularly, its horrible, especially coming from a numbers company like SAP. Its bloated with players faces and icons that take up valuable screen space that could be used for, um say, more stats? To make my point, here's a screen shot of the home page. Count this... you see 4 player category stats! 4!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on folks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 7.29.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 7.29.40 AM.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: ktecac

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008

If you lived in Alabama, you would consider College Football to be the only worthwhile sport, as NFL is absolutely NOTHING to Alabamians. Auburn vs Alabama rivalry has been huge there for the last 125 years. No other sport exists for them; not even NFL.

If you lived in North Carolina, the only sport that deserves attention is College Basketball. It's all about Carolina vs Duke there.

It all depends on where you live.

Last edited:

JimmyBanks6

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2017
They should move it to Quebec City.

Just kidding ;)
They just need a competent owner, the location is fine. Nearly all of my friends who are die-hard hockey fans are refusing to attend games until Melnyk is gone.

In fact, Quebec is another government city with half the population. The only way they will ever get a team is an emergency relocation like Atlanta.

Sam Squanch

macrumors regular
May 10, 2018
It definitely is a niche sport. Even MLS outdraws it in the US.
The MLS also outdraws the NBA on average attendance. That is true because, both the NBA and the NHL are restricted by the size of their arena's.

Total attendance is a different story. MLB leads the way with almost 70 million followed by the NHL at 22 million + and just barely squeaking out a lead over the NBA who also drew a little over 22 million. The MLS lags behind at around 8.5 million. For those interested, the NFL drew around 17 million.

Revenue tells another story. The NFL is the beast (to no one's surprise) at 13 billion. Followed by MLB - 9.5 billion, NBA - 5.2 billion, NHL - 3.7 billion and the MLS at the bottom at 0.9 billion.

Interestingly enough television revenue plays a pretty major role and the NBA gets about 2 billion more in television revenue than the NHL does so do some quick math the NBA and NHL are pretty much even when you ignore television revenue.

So, niche... then the NBA is also a niche sport in North America.

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Remember when hockey was gaining traction in the ratings, then some dumbass decided to have 3 lockouts within a decade of each other, right after he moved teams from the north to the desert and Florida. That same ****ing idiot is still in charge. Maybe old Tim will want to meet with Nascar’s Board next, and discuss how a sport that once nearly rivaled the nfl, lost over 90% of it’s audience in less than 12 years. Maybe the old goat will learn why stubbornness in a rapidly changing world of fads is a recipe for disaster.

We may not know what we want, but we sure as hell know what we don’t want, and when a company makes a simple mistake, like unibrows, head phone adapters, $1800 price tags, etc, the last thing the company needs is a stubborn fool who tries doubling down on stupid mistakes.

ktecac

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
It’s a fun sport and I like to watch it but personally it is not the greatest in my opinion. One challenge it has is getting people to understand the game, especially since it isn’t typically played in youth leagues in much of North America; especially compared to the other major sports. To put it into perspective, field hockey participation grew more than ice hockey in the US. To really grow hockey needs to grow new fans beyond those who may have had family members who were fans, since those are essentially replacements and not growth. When I lived in an area with a team they held events to bring in kids to watch an exhibition to try to build a home team fan base; but many of the fans that went to games were transplants that only went when their team visited which made it hard to grow.

You're right about the other major leagues being far more popular than the NHL but the rest of this part of your post is nonsense lol.

So field hockey grew faster but so did roller hockey and team swimming and cheerleading. And since baseball, soccer, basketball and football grew less (or shrunk) - then I guess it's hard to grow those games?

https://blog.sisuguard.com/what-is-the-fastest-growing-sport-in-america
https://www.sfia.org/reports/611_2017-U.S.-Trends-in-Team-Sports-

Screen%20Shot%202018-02-13%20at%202.26.35%20PM.png

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
If you lived in Alabama, you would consider College Football to be the only worthwhile sport, as NFL is absolutely NOTHING to Alabamians. Auburn vs Alabama rivalry has been huge there for the last 125 years. No other sport exists for them; not even NFL.

If you lived in North Carolina, the only sport that deserves attention is College Basketball. It's all about Carolina vs Duke there.

It all depends on where you live.

Of course. The Iron Bowl is the game for many in Alabama, just like The Game, Army - Navy, etc. if you are a college football fan of other schools. Schools with no good football have to make do with basketball.

NASCAR is also big in Alabama.

In the Big Easy, it's the Saints.

It really is all about location.
[doublepost=1548694474][/doublepost]
Interestingly enough television revenue plays a pretty major role and the NBA gets about 2 billion more in television revenue than the NHL does so do some quick math the NBA and NHL are pretty much even when you ignore television revenue.

The revenue is bigger becasue it draws more eyeballs.
[doublepost=1548695372][/doublepost]
You're right about the other major leagues being far more popular than the NHL but the rest of this part of your post is nonsense lol.

So field hockey grew faster but so did roller hockey and team swimming and cheerleading. And since baseball, soccer, basketball and football grew less (or shrunk) - then I guess it's hard to grow those games.

A problem with percentage growth is when you start from a small base the absolute numbers need not be big to get a large % growth. Sustainablity is another question.

I'm not sure what you feel is nonsense but I do thing hockey has a ceiling lower than others simply because there ismn't a large base of youth playing it across North America; it appears to be consentrated in the more traditional areas where you can play much longer than in warmer climates where no one laces up much of the year.

Of course, high growth rates may not translate into a large pro sport support either, even though lacrosse, a great sport, is growing rapidly and played in a lot of areas beyond the old traditional areas that may not mean we'll see the pro league rivalling the NHL or MSL anytime in the near future.

Salaries are another issue. Hockey players make good money but other sports way out pace them so if you are a young kid who's a great athlete, unnless you grew up around hockey, you're not looking at the NHL and saying I want to be apro hockedy player. Soccer, IMHO, has the same issue. The NFL, NBA, and MLB all look more lucrative, even if they aren't overall. If you look at median, rather than average, salaries, the NHL and NBA are the highest, at least a few years ago. Of course, what kids see it the 1st round draft choice contract and think they'll get that.

None of this means hockey isn't a fun sport, nor that it doesn't have diehard fans. The responses to my niche commet show its fans are passionate; and knowing some I never doubted that. My point is simple, for most sports fans hockey is not on their radar.

Now what would be interesting if the NHL used the technology to provide fans with more information.

Last edited:

ktecac

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
A problem with percentage growth is when you start from a small base the absolute numbers need not be big to get a large % growth. Sustainablity is another question.

I'm not sure what you feel is nonsense but I do thing hockey has a ceiling lower than others simply because there ismn't a large base of youth playing it across North America; it appears to be consentrated in the more traditional areas where you can play much longer than in warmer climates where no one laces up much of the year.

Of course, high growth rates may not translate into a large pro sport support either, even though lacrosse, a great sport, is growing rapidly and played in a lot of areas beyond the old traditional areas that may not mean we'll see the pro league rivalling the NHL or MSL anytime in the near future.

Salaries are another issue. Hockey players make good money but other sports way out pace them so if you are a young kid who's a great athlete, unnless you grew up around hockey, you're not looking at the NHL and saying I want to be apro hockedy player. Soccer, IMHO, has the same issue. The NFL, NBA, and MLB all look more lucrative, even if they aren't overall. If you look at median, rather than average, salaries, the NHL and NBA are the highest, at least a few years ago. Of course, what kids see it the 1st round draft choice contract and think they'll get that.

None of this means hockey isn't a fun sport, nor that it doesn't have diehard fans. The responses to my niche commet show its fans are passionate; and knowing some I never doubted that. My point is simple, for most sports fans hockey is not on their radar.

Now what would be interesting if the NHL used the technology to provide fans with more information.

Ice Hockey is represented in one of the top 4 (or 5 depending how you look at it) major leagues in North America. Compared to football, basketball and baseball - yeah not even close - but saying it’s not a major sport in North America is ridiculous.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Ice Hockey is represented in one of the top 4 (or 5 depending how you look at it) major leagues in North America. Compared to football, basketball and baseball - yeah not even close - but saying it’s not a major sport in North America is ridiculous.
Consider the northern US and Canada, and you will get a completely different picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.