Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
This isn't acceptable. iOS 8 has been out for what, 6, 7 months? My iPad mini 2 still stutters horrendously in terms of UI, and is so damn quirky. These bugs are not acceptable. I have to restart my iPad almost daily or rotating gets slow. Really, really slow. I have restored the iPad as new 3 times and every single time, all issues have returned within a couple days to a couple weeks.

Anyone else sick of the mediocre performance of iOS 8 on their iPad 4, Air, mini 2, or mini 3? Many UI stutter problems are exclusive to these iPads because on the iPad 2 and 3, translucency is disabled, and on the iPad air 2, things are overkill. That iPad is a clear case of Apple throwing specs at their problems rather than fixing them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 265
Reactions: MacGurl111

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
That pic looks photoshopped to be honest.

I haven't used iOS 8 yet but I've heard it's a very unstable system. I'm pretty sure you can find a similar topic in the iOS section.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
This isn't acceptable. iOS 8 has been out for what, 6, 7 months? My iPad mini 2 still stutters horrendously in terms of UI, and is so damn quirky. These bugs are not acceptable. I have to restart my iPad almost daily or rotating gets slow. Really, really slow. I have restored the iPad as new 3 times and every single time, all issues have returned within a couple days to a couple weeks.

Anyone else sick of the mediocre performance of iOS 8 on their iPad 4, Air, mini 2, or mini 3? Many UI stutter problems are exclusive to these iPads because on the iPad 2 and 3, translucency is disabled, and on the iPad air 2, things are overkill. That iPad is a clear case of Apple throwing specs at their problems rather than fixing them.

My brand new iPad Mini 2 is the same... TERRIBLE!

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA

I haven't used iOS 8 yet but I've heard it's a very unstable system. I'm pretty sure you can find a similar topic in the iOS section.

Why do you say that? Only thing I did to it was blur the content of the conversation for privacy reasons. Used the "draw to blur" tool in Aviary.

Even if it was photoshopped, iOS 8 is still just so... No. Well, on iPads. Both iPhone and iPad have their fair share of major bug issues, but the UI performance is where things are abysmal. This one year old iPad of mine performs like it is 3 years old with the UI behavior, even though general tasks are nice and quick. There are things that perform smoother on the now... 5 year old iPad 2? Heck, even the old iPod 4 on iOS 6.1.6 is smoother in some areas, like sending messages. Yeah, those devices will do general tasks much slower and run out of RAM easier and crash (still issues on my iPad lol) but it still proves a point that the UI is *this* bad.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

I totally believe that pic because I've seen iOS 8 on a 6+ display some downright weird stuff. On 8.3, the upside down bug is fixed only to be replaced by a landscape bug. Apple fixed it by 90 degrees lol.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013

OF COURSE it's photoshopped; he blurred the chat.

That said, I had the same issue on both my Mini 2 and my 6+. While I'm not to the point of "UNACCEPTABLE, APPLE!!!" like this guy is, it's a little annoying when it does happen (which thankfully isn't too often.)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Basically, we're screwed lol. I'm going to wait for iOS 9. If that isn't a bug fix release then I'm done with iOS. Another round of this is unacceptable.

I have three iPad's (iPad 2/3/Air) and none of them are running iOS 8. If iOS 9 doesn't begin addressing performance issues and clean up the bugs and quirks i'm done as well. I'm not dumping my iPad's but i'm not buying anymore.

madgibbon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2013
I would like to see a list of these 'bugs' people are experiencing. I have an Air 2 and iPhone 6 and have no issues with either. Admittedly my previous Mini 2 had a few problems when iOS 8 was first pushed out, my wife has that now and it seems fine with recent updates.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I would like to see a list of these 'bugs' people are experiencing. I have an Air 2 and iPhone 6 and have no issues with either. Admittedly my previous Mini 2 had a few problems when iOS 8 was first pushed out, my wife has that now and it seems fine with recent updates.

Not issues here either.

My Air 2 and 6+ have worked very well. I can not remember the last time my iPad Air 2 was rebooted, probably when it did the last OS update.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
In our house there are five iPads and four iPhones (various models) all running iOS 8 without any problems. I'm not for one second suggesting that people aren't having problems, but just wondering if there might be something specific causing the problems.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
I'm happy with iOS 8 on the whole and I love it.

With that said, I can confirm I've seen the same bug occur on my delightful iPhone 6 plus.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
In our house there are five iPads and four iPhones (various models) all running iOS 8 without any problems. I'm not for one second suggesting that people aren't having problems, but just wondering if there might be something specific causing the problems.

Not issues here either.

My Air 2 and 6+ have worked very well. I can not remember the last time my iPad Air 2 was rebooted, probably when it did the last OS update.

Want some examples? I demonstrated all the stutter issues with a few retina minis in the Apple Store, with my iPad mini 2, and with my friends Air 1. Spotlight stutters. Turning spotlight is horrendous, turning App Store is bad, especially when you are viewing a particular app, turning the power down screen is awful. Control center over a folder, over a keyboard, over spotlight search are all disastrous. Siri animation is not exactly smooth, it's worse when used everywhere outside of the Homescreen. Popping up of keyboard in apps, games, and Safari is bad, especially when the keyboard is split. Turning the screen with a keyboard is bad. Often when I close heavier apps with the pinch to close gesture, or if I just haven't used the gesture in awhile, it stutters as the apps are coming in... The list goes on. Every one of these is able to be demonstrated on ANY A7 iPad running iOS 8 with translucency enabled.

You people aren't experiencing issues because you have iPad Air 2's and they went overkill with the specs on that to cover up their horrendous, inefficient, resource hog of iOS 8. However, that still doesn't explain the random quirks like this that aren't occurring on your iPads. Maybe it had to do with some memory shortage or something.

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Same here. I got my rMini 2 exchanged (broken homebutton), but the new machine has the same problems. Even without a backup. The UI is deeply broken. Safari has awful bugs and Copy/Paste is a mess. I hope it will get fixed with 8.3 and 8.4 and i will probably wait until iOS9. But to be honest, i am thinking about ditching iPads forever and getting a 6S+ in october. Or maybe i will buy a Surface 3 when Windows 10 is released.

Last edited:

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
This same crap is plaguing my 6 plus. I want to throw away the phone sometimes and just start over with another brand. I'm a hostage tho because with all the other iOS devices in our household, it would be crazy to switch.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
This is the exact reason why I dumped my iPad Air 1. The UI glitches were simply unacceptable. Apple clearly knew this or they adjusted the UI experience to a certain level where last year's Air 1 and Mini 2 would automatically look outdated and slow. UI wise, iOS 8 looks exactly like iOS 7 but good god!, the performance of UI is 50% slower in some cases.

Feels like Timmy and Jonny instructed all the UI coders to add few milliseconds delay to every animation frame on older devices. (It is possible to do this by the way)

Though I have iPad Air 2 now, let's see how iOS 9 shapes up. iOS 9 being a performance and bug fix only update are just plain rumors. Apple themselves have never confirmed this. If all older gen iPads and iPhones become butter smooth all of a sudden, who will buy the next gen iProduct? The incentive to buy will greatly be reduced as far as I am concerned.

On one hand, Android Lollipop is getting smoother and lag free on last year's devices, iOS is heading completely in the opposite direction. I admit that I have been tempted to get Galaxy S6 several times to replace my RAM crippled and sometimes laggy iPhone 5c.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You people aren't experiencing issues because you have iPad Air 2's and they went overkill with the specs on that to cover up their horrendous, inefficient, resource hog of iOS 8. .

Sorry but there are many who are not using an Air 2 and still not having the disaster you describe. Getting all upset is not going to solve anything but if it helps . . . . . . tell us how you REALLY feel!:eek:

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy

I have a mini 2 and rarely have any rotation issue like you are experiencing. I never have to restart or restore.

I have had the iPhone 6 screen lock up, where it wouldn't respond to any touch input and sometimes fails to properly rotate the screen ,but not on my mini 2. 8.3 seems to have fixed most of this- for me.

----------

You people aren't experiencing issues because you have iPad Air 2's and they went overkill with the specs on that to cover up their horrendous, inefficient, resource hog of iOS 8. However, that still doesn't explain the random quirks like this that aren't occurring on your iPads. Maybe it had to do with some memory shortage or something.

I have NEVER seen anyone complain about an Apple device being OVER specced lol.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Sorry but there are many who are not using an Air 2 and still not having the disaster you describe. Getting all upset is not going to solve anything but if it helps . . . . . . tell us how you REALLY feel!:eek:

I have a mini 2 and rarely have any rotation issue like you are experiencing. I never have to restart or restore.

I have had the iPhone 6 screen lock up, where it wouldn't respond to any touch input and sometimes fails to properly rotate the screen ,but not on my mini 2. 8.3 seems to have fixed most of this- for me.

----------

Original Air, rMini, several 5S iPhones, two iPhone 6es, all running fine with none of the symptoms you're describing, especially the restart issues, which are a sign that something - hardware, OS or software - is seriously wrong with the device.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA

----------

Lol sorry, I wasn't really complaining about it being over specced, just using the ridiculous jump from A7 iPads to A8X to prove the point that iOS 8 is just... Bad. Apple used the big jump to give themselves wiggle room for the inneficiencies of iOS 8 it seems like, rather than fixing the issues. That's what bothers me. I want to see stuff fixed, not covered up by specs.

Maybe I will do a clean install of iOS 8.3. Haven't done a set up as new in awhile, even though I've done it a few times. Since 8.3 fixes lots of bugs and stability issues anyway, it will be much better to do this. I'm also accumulating quite a large amount of "Other", I'm around 3GB of it I think. I'm extremely hopeful that this will alleviate some of my issues.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
NO problems here with iOS 8. We have 4 iPhones ranging from 5S to 6 Plus, an iPad Mini 2, two iPad Air and one iPad Air 2. No issues of any kind. I'm in the process of updating everything to 8.3, but so far, 8.2 has been very stable and completely without any issue or stuttering.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
maybe your ram is corrupted by some of the 3rd party apps that are open. what's your typical routine?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Lol sorry, I wasn't really complaining about it being over specced, just using the ridiculous jump from A7 iPads to A8X to prove the point that iOS 8 is just... Bad. Apple used the big jump to give themselves wiggle room for the inneficiencies of iOS 8 it seems like, rather than fixing the issues. That's what bothers me. I want to see stuff fixed, not covered up by specs.

Maybe I will do a clean install of iOS 8.3. Haven't done a set up as new in awhile, even though I've done it a few times. Since 8.3 fixes lots of bugs and stability issues anyway, it will be much better to do this. I'm also accumulating quite a large amount of "Other", I'm around 3GB of it I think. I'm extremely hopeful that this will alleviate some of my issues.

Slightly different case, but one of my iPhone 6es went on some weird battery binge that was not a settings issue. Just for S&G, the first thing I tried was a DFU restore followed by a normal restore from backup from iTunes. It logically shouldn't have, but it completely solved the problem (which has stayed solved). I gave it a shot because it was a pretty minor investment of time compared to building the thing from the ground up with ~200 apps on the phone.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy

Yeah, I would try that. Then test it with no additional apps. Then if everything seems okay, try adding apps back one at a time and test how it the iPad preforms before adding the next. Just test it out and you might pinpoint an issue.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have a mini 3, iPhone 6 plus and iPad Air 2. I'm not seeing any major issues with iOS 8 on any of my devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.