Apple, I hate you (earbuds FTL)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by geoffreak, Jul 21, 2009.

1. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Iconic or not, Apples earbuds are pieces of (fecal matter). Just now, I took one of my earbuds out of my ear (the right one) in order to hear what someone was saying to me, but when I stuck it back in... no sound. The same song was playing the entire time through my iPhone 3GS, so the problem is absolutely the headphones. I simply took the earbud out of my ear, held it in my hand for about 10 seconds, and stuck it back in. The volume controls, clicker, other earbud, and microphone still work flawlessly, but no sound in this one.
    These headphones are less than a month old and have only been in use for almost two weeks, with almost no signs of use (short of the headphones' desire to curl up in a ball). Not only is this completely messed up, but this isn't the first time I've wanted to kill a few of Apple's earbud engineers.

It all started back with my first iPhone (first gen)...

After about half a year of owning the device, I started to listen to music a lot more, so the earbuds experienced a good amount of abuse. Nothing compared to what some of my other headphones experience (and all of which work perfectly to this day). When I pulled my headphones out of my pocket one day, sound didn't come out of one of the buds. I figured I must have damaged them and went the the Apple store to buy a new set. I was absolutely astounded that they charged $30! :eek: I bought the headphones because I used the clicker so much and at the time there weren't any good alternatives. I swore never to buy another pair from Apple again.

Those headphones were hardly used because of the experience I had with the previous buds. Eventually they started waring out and I decided to look for a replacement set before the buds completely fail.

At the beginning of this summer, I purchased a set of Atomic Bass Booster earbuds. Best purchase I have ever made. Outstanding sound quality and the plastic/rubber around the wires was very durable. These things still look brand new. All was well... until my iPhone 3GS.

About a month ago, I bought an iPhone 3GS. When it arrived, I grabbed the bundled headphones and threw them in a drawer in disgust. No way on earth I was going to use those pieces of (fecal matter). I grabbed my awesome earbuds and stuck them in my new iPhone and started enjoying music. I soon realized that the clicker was able to pull up the voice control, so I was very pleased. That was until I tried to change the song...

I was at work the following day when I song I didn't feel like listening to at the moment came up, so naturally I click the clicker twice to go to the next one. The music stops, but instead of the next song coming in, I hear a beep and all is silent. I take a look at my iPhone and realize that it went into voice control. Thinking I held the click too long, I slide the cancel bar and try again with the double click. Once again I try to change the song. Same result. I try many times to the point where I'm getting very frustrated (anyone who knows me knows that I rarely lose my temper, so this has been a lot of tries) but finally, it works! I try to change the song again to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but it works again! I can even go back a song too. I figure that the voice control problem was a fluke and move on with my life.

A few hours later, it happens again. Once again I fight the clicker until it is able to change a song. Repeatedly throughout the day I fight the iPhone and can never find any discernible pattern for when the phone decides to have the clicker bring up voice control or change the song. I am PISSED. My headphones work flawlessly in the first in second gen iPhones (believe me, I have tested), but Apple has changed something in the 3GS to render my older headphones useless.

Not wanting to go to the Apple earbuds, I try and live with not being able to use the clicker properly. Every day was aggravating to the point where I finally decided to switch. I took out the earbuds that came with the 3GS and placed my better set of earbuds in my drawer. After cursing a few Apple engineers for the terrible decision to screw over users of older third party headphones, I moved on. The sound quality wasn't terrible and I now had volume controls.

Now we come back to today, when one of the earbuds suddenly stopped working. Needless to say I'll be sending Mr Jobs' email screener a complaint when I get home tonight. Despite living and working less than a quarter of a mile from an Apple store, working full time makes visiting it a pain in the (lower back region). Rest assured that I will not be leaving the Apple store without a working set of earbuds when I can get a chance to go.

If anyone could point me in the direction of some <$40 earbuds (in-ear preferred for bass) that have a working clicker (volume controls would be helpful too), work on the 3GS, and will actually last as long as the iPhone, I would very much appreciate it.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You had a defective pair of earbuds and still haven't realize that. And I doubt two pairs broke in the same way. I had 3 iPods. All of the earbuds worked for at least 1 year, at most was close to 3 years. I bought 2 new pairs of earbuds in addition to the ones they give you. None of them broke. My friends and family who have iPods/iPhones have no problems with earbuds.

Even if you *did* have two consecutive pairs of earbuds that broke (and it wasn't your fault) you can get a replacement. The first time you didn't do that nor mention what you did to those earbuds. You story doesn't match.

3. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Both times my headphones have failed the cause was internally disconnected wires. Both times were not my fault. The headphones should at least be able to handle some minor abuse (they are meant to be used, after all), but the build quality has it so they can't handle any. That is what is unacceptable.

I am well aware of the fact that my headphones are defective, but my point is that they are ALL defective because of the poor build quality. Unlike other alternatives, they are completely unable to handle abuse, and now Apple appears to have locked out the alternatives.

Wanna know what I did to my headphones to make them break? I used them.
    Unacceptable.

4. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

I really like the older design. I've got a pair that I've been using for either 3 or 4 years now, probably 4. I don't use them every day, but I run with them, throw them in my bag...they have yet to break. The newer ones, I've seen a lot of them crap out early, but those older ones seemed great.

5. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Lying around my house are a number of sets of pre-clicker headphones which still work perfectly, even though they are fairly abused. The sound quality may be crappier than the newer ones, but they work!

6. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

As a general rule, I stay away from Apple headphones. Down to their inferior sound quality and the fact they break easily.

I was tempted to buy the new in-ear headphones, but I don't want to spend £59 on a pair of headphones that will break. The build quality could be outstanding but I'm wary of Apple headphones now.
    All headphones break eventually, but Apple ones do so very quickly.
    That and white headphones tell everyone I've got an iPod of some shape or form and it may very well be worth stealing.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

When my earbuds went wonky, I went to the Apple store and they replaced them for free (under warranty). Did you not want to hassle with making an appointment with a genius?