Apple i5 and i7 27" iMacs do NOT support high speed ethernet transfer

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Norskman, Feb 28, 2010.

  1. Norskman macrumors member

    Norskman

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    #1
    I found this article below when searching on iMac i7 info.

    Here's the original post: http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/1...s-do-not-support-high-speed-ethernet-transfer

    This kinda supports me as I already use a SAN and store most of my pictures, videos and music on it.
     
  2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #2
    Storing pictures, video and music externally doesnt require gigabit speeds.

    If you are editing video, thats different.

    But still crappy.

    Reminds me of the crappy FW800 performance on G5 towers when FW800 on MBPs smoked them. If you really need big FW800 speed, you had to buy a FW800 PCI card.
     
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #3
    It's arguable whether or not the iMac is Apple's "flagship" machine. If the Mac Pros were limited in the same way I'd be more inclined to sympathize.
     
  4. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #4
    It's Apple's flagship in consumer level desktops. Sounds stupid though, $2k machine that is slower than much older Macs.
     
  5. Focks macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    Location:
    Lisbon, Portugal
    #5
    All in all, what is the ethernet speed that the i5/i7 iMacs support?

    And now an off-topic question. Will I be able to enconde/edit a video through FireWire800? (Having the movie in a external hard drive and encoding/editing the movie)
     
  6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #6
    Just to clarify -- the iMacs are *NOT* any slower than older iMacs.

    Lets not make this ant hill into Everest.

    The rate at which its capable of transferring files over its gigabit ethernet connection is less than previous and current Core2Duo iMacs.

    I would guess this problem will affect fewer than 1% of all iMac users -- considering the fact its an i5/i7 issue.

    90% off all iMacs will ship with Core2Duos, which are not affected, and the remaining 10% of iMacs that ship with i5/i7s, only .01% of those people will even notice. I bet 80%+ of i5/i7 users use wireless, not even using the ethernet port at all.

    It sucks, but only on a microscopic level in overall sales.
     
  7. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #7
    Yea I agree. It's just feels odd that the "fastest" ones have slower components but as you said, there aren't many people that it would affect to.
     
  8. Focks macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    Location:
    Lisbon, Portugal
    #8
    No one? Especially for the first question.. Will I be able to get 100Mbps internet connection through ethernet?
     
  9. rnb2 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2006
    Location:
    West Haven, CT, USA
    #9
    You'll get gigabit, just not the fastest type of gigabit.
     
  10. Buzz Bumble Guest

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #10
    So you get Gigabit Lite?!? Does that make it Gigglebit?? ;)
     

Share This Page