Apple iBook G4 running Leopard OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HBoss, Apr 14, 2011.

1. HBoss macrumors newbie

I have recently bought an iBook G4 as I was after an Apple on a budget, however, it is running Mac OS X 10.5. It has been running absolutely perfectly for just over a month, but suddenly seems to have hit a brick wall and is running incredibly slowly. Every time I try to type something or click on something the spinning wheel appears and it takes anywhere up to a few minutes for it to catch up.

Having searched other threads I've checked how much memory is available, but that doesn't seem to be the problem as I have about 50GB free (the laptop was completely cleared out by the previous user and I've only had it a month so there's not a huge amount on it yet). Similarly the available RAM doesn't seem to be a problem. The only other suggestion I have seen is to repair disk permissions. I have tried to do this, however, I'm having problems as it either gets part way through and then gives up or doesn't even start - it just says reading permissions database.

Other than that I've had a look at the Activity monitor, but there's nothing really using up massive amounts of the CPU except, 'installdb' which is using anywhere up to 80% CPU. However, I understand this is something that Repair Disk Permissions starts up and is perfectly normal.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to fix this I would be very grateful as it's obviously a brand new laptop (to me anyway). Cheers.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd end that process, as that is what's causing your slowdowns.

3. HBoss thread starter macrumors newbie

That process was not running earlier and the problem was just as bad if not worse. Any other suggestions? :(