Apple icon turned blue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Charis, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Charis macrumors newbie

I use a Mac OS X, 10.4.11. The Apple icon on the top left corner is blue instead of black. My iTunes library has emptied - in the Music folder in Finder, I find a 'data' file named 'iTunes library damaged'. I lost all the data in an Excel worksheet that I was working on yesterday. What could be wrong?

2. macgeek77 macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Tiger, wasn't the Apple menu icon always blue?

As regards your iTunes, your library probably was somehow damaged. This doesn't call for an unhappy ending. What I recommend is deleting iTunes, and re-downloading it. Then, if you go into your iTunes folder, then into "iTunes music," your music should still be there. Just drag and drop all your music into iTunes.

As regards Excel, do you recall saving your data?

At a final guess, perhaps your OS is corrupt. Try backing up all your data, and doing a clean install if none of the above considerations solves your problem.

3. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I thought it was gray in Graphite mode

4. Charis thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe the menu icon is usually in black. I had Excel, iTunes, Gmail (using Firefox) and Skype opened and somehow all 4 got corrupted. Today Im having trouble logging into my gmail account. The Excel file data is all garbled.

What is the process for doing a 'clean install'? Thanks, I deleted & re-downloaded iTunes.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The Apple menu icon in the Aqua UI was blue until 10.5 (Leopard) when it was changed to glossy black. In 10.4.11 it is supposed to be blue.

6. Charis thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh...thank you. :eek:

I wonder then why my excel worksheet became garbled, iTunes had a damaged file, and Skype required me to set up again when I logged in this morning. Sigh.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^sounds like your Mac OS X version has been downgraded from 10.5 (Leopard) to 10.4 (Tiger). i have no idea why though.

8. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm 99.999999% sure that you can change it from Blue to Graphite under Appearance in System Preferences, using Tiger. I know I had a blackish background and changed it to that, but didn't like that my X - + buttons were grey, so I went back.

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It's stated that he doesn't use Leopard and it would appear he never upgraded and thus didn't mysteriously downgrade to Tiger.

10. Charis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks much! You are 100% right. There's an option to change the colour in Sys Pref. i was surprised when i saw the blue instead of grey, coz i didn't change the colour. TheniI was concerned that the system got corrupted like what happened to my excelworksheet, itunes and skype.

to confirm, i have 10.4.11 Tiger...would like to upgrade to Leopard but i bought my MacBook only a year ago.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I bought my macbook almost a year ago, check the dates. I remember people purchasing macs around the time of the leopard release were eligible for an upgrade disc for $10 or something like that. The program may well be long gone...

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok so its sounds like all of your user settings have been cleared. did you rename your home folder by any chance? go to Macintosh HD/Users are there two users folders there? both being yours?

13. Charis thread starter macrumors newbie

that's a great deal, wish i knew about that.

good question...nope, i didn't rename my home folder.
    What i see in the Macintosh HD is a folder named "Users" and in it are 2 folders, one named "guest" and the other "shared".

14. Jaiden macrumors member

uh oh. that doesn't sound good. To me it sounds like you've somehow deleted your account. That would explain everything you said, but it would also mean that all you're files were deleted (however, the applications would not have been). If you're on auto-login, you wouldn't have noticed. It would also explain the excel worksheet if you went into "Recently Opened" (or whatever it's called), and tried opening it from there, and skype wouldn't recognise you're settings, and of course your itunes wouldn't have any songs in it. As for the apple logo being blue, I'd say that's because it must be the default theme.

Are you sure there is not a folder with the same name as your username?

- Jaiden

15. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Have you tried repairing permissions when booting from the system disk?

I've had something similar happen before. My login defaulted back to what it looked like when I originally installed it. This includes iTunes reverting back and most all of my programs being gone from the dock. Turns out, the permissions on my home/user directory got changed. A simple permission repair fixed the problem.

16. Charis thread starter macrumors newbie

You got a good point...hmmm, i'll look into this. How did you 'repair' the permission?

Oh no! Deleted my account - how did I do it? Hmmmm.
    when i log in, I have 2 options: log in as Guest or as ME (my name). I click on ME and type in password.
    I followed you suggestion and checked the HD, only one USERS folder, inside it are 2 folders: Guest and Shared. Then ME is not a folder but a 'home' icon. Inside Home are folders for documents, music, photos, Desktop...

17. kolax macrumors G3

The "Me" is a folder, it just has a different icon. Everything is fine, that is how the user folder is displayed. If you logged in as Guest and went to Users, the "Me" would be a folder, and Guest would be the Home folder. It is just to show you who is logged in.

And to repair permissions, go to Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility. Click on Macintosh HD, and Verify Permissions. If it gives you a list of errors, Repair. Note that it might take about 10 minutes to verify and repair.

18. Jaiden macrumors member

ah, of course. I should have mentioned that you're home folder will not show up like a normal folder. sorry about that.

19. Charis thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks for the instructions. I'll give it a go...:)

20. Charis thread starter macrumors newbie

phew. all's good.