Apple ID: apple id been disabled for security reasons

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hrsetrdr, Feb 10, 2014.

1. hrsetrdr macrumors member

hrsetrdr

I have had an Apple ID for several years, have only used it to access the App Store a couple times. But, today I bought an ipad, and want to use Facetime, but in spite of having gone though the password reset procedure I still get "apple id been disabled for security reasons". What is going on? What does it take to fix this? Do I have to call Apple customer service on the phone?

I know that there are millons of people having Apple ID problems; what is the root cause of all the un-necessary heartburn?

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

How do you know there are "millions"?

It may be the reset takes a few hours to sort itself out, if it's still not working, phone apple support.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Sounds as if your Apple ID might have been hacked. Can you get into the iCloud web stuff at Apple -My Apple ID? If so change the password in the web app, wait a minute or two and then change the password from your System Preferences->iCloud pane to the new password you setup.

4. hrsetrdr thread starter macrumors member

hrsetrdr

Just a guess, since google search results show a whole lot of inquiries on this subject,..may just be thousands upon thousands.

This morning I tried a differant approach, and entered the email associated with this Apple ID account, rather than my user name; that appears to be successful. :rolleyes:

I always considered using ones email address for an user ID, like for example on ebay, to be a bad practice, but I guess Apple is good with that.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I didn't even know there was a user name, always use my email address.
    Perhaps those other thousands are doing the same as you were ? :D

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I had a user name, which was not my email address, at one point linked to my Apple ID. Used to work without any issues. Back several months to a year ago it just stopped accepting my user name. Would only accept the email address associated with my ID. Never tried to figure it out since my email address worked.