Apple ID confusion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Skyholder01, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Skyholder01 macrumors member

Okay... I'm really bugged.
    I have a MacBook Pro, an iPad, and an iPhone.

I have an Apple id. But I seem to have a number of them! 2, to be precise.
    The iPad, and Macbook Pro appear to have the same one. That being a name, in the form of an email address.

On my iPhone, when I try to "update" aps..... The prompt that comes up showing an apple id, wanting a password, is a single word... NOT in email form, AND not the same as the Macbook Pro, or iPad.

And no password is working on the iPhone. I don't know what to do to get them all to be aligned to the same ID & Password.

Please help.

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Bit confused by your post: you mention that both your MBP and iPad's Apple ID is an email address but your iPhone "comes up showing an apple ID". Is that the same as the first two, i.e., your identical email address?

However, why not view your account in iTunes and reset your password - that could be a quick fix...

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I think the point here is going to be that you purchased stuff with an Apple ID of, let's say, "Bob" and you have another Apple ID of bob@me.com - these are two different IDs with two different sets of purchases and permissions.

Common problem. No solution.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

It is said that the rumors are that apple is working on a way to merge apple id's but who knows if that's true or if they will eventually work it out.

You did in fact have 2 completely different ID's and you did make purchases on the one where it's not an email address, so you need to use that one for your purchases/updating those purchases or use your email address based one and re-purchase those apps that you bought with the non-email based one.

Pain in the butt, but if you know both passwords for both accounts its just a minor hassle.