Apple ID Disabled?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by user1690, Sep 22, 2011.

1. user1690 macrumors regular

user1690

Hey guys,

Just a few minutes ago i tried getting a free app from the app store but i was presented with "This Apple ID has been disabled for security reasons" im also presented with a reset button so that makes me think someone has tried to access my account, but failed and as a result my account is locked? I tried resetting the password but i have 2 options, E-Mail recovery or personal information, i tried both. E-Mail never arrives and apparently i've already tried entering personal info so i got to wait eight hours.

Anyone got any other theories or reasons as to why my ID has been disabled? :mad:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

As You Say

Sounds as if Apple have detected suspicious activity on your account and locked it. I would phone them, and check your bank statement too, if anybody has been using your account you need to sort it out quickly, don't wait eight hours for a reset that might not work anyway.

3. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Well i hadn't accessed the account in a few days, i have just checked my bank too and it seems fine (But it takes days for iTunes things to show) so yes, i will give them a call and see whats going on. Don't really know who would wanna access my account, regardless of that, no one can now since its been locked.

I really hope i dont have to end up create a new account and purchase all my apps again :mad:

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Your Apps

Will be sorted by Apple, you won't have to pay for them again:)

5. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Well just a follow up, contacted Apple and they said to give them some details like billing address, etc... and they will reset the password for me after an investigation in to why the account was disabled in the first place. 7 Days wait though :(

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'm still waiting for my account to be unlocked.

Wasn't hacked... just someone entered a wrong password too many times.

Now they are forcing me to change my password, which wasn't compromised or hacked.

Bloody annoying. I don't want to change my password (i don't think i should have to and i sure as hell don't like being forced to do it). I was already forced to change my appleid to an email address for iOS5 and this is the last straw.

I think apple has lost a long term customer with these antics. I supported apple because of their good customer service. They are bigger than ever now, earning much more money, and yet the customer service levels have deteriorated.

(BTW please don't lecture me on the security of changing my password. It's a risk i'm willing to take and if i want to change my password it should be my decision, not apples.)

7. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

I don't think anyone is going to 'lecture' you. If you dont want to change your password, fine that's your choice of course. But if your account is indeed disabled because of too many password attempts, what choice do you have?

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well they were only 'attempts' so no one actually guessed my password.
    (Although i think the issue is down to me having to change my appleID to an email and the other devices connected to the old one locking it down...)

The choice i have is either change my password or just get apple to unlock my account. I don't see or understand any reason why they can't just unlock it.

9. dave420 macrumors 65816

Why don't you just change your password then change it back? It seems like you are getting all upset over nothing. You could probably come up with 15 better reasons to stop being an Apple customer than being forced to change your password.

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You can't reuse the same password again for a year and my password (although containing characters and numbers) does not contain a capital letter so i can't ever revert to it if i change it.

I'm getting all upset over A. Being forced to change my appleID and B. being forced to change my password and C. paying apple for the privilege of having them force me to do it.

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

Wasn't aware of the year long restriction. That is interesting. I have found that different applications from Apple have different password restrictions. The last time I changed my Apple id password I was able to find a place where they let me pick a password without a capital letter (I think it was on their web site somewhere). Not sure if they have addressed that since then.

12. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

5th email from Apple and i got a 'copy-paste' of the "This is how you reset your password" email.

They totally ignored my issue again which is amazing considering in my last email i repeated it between every sentence i wrote.

Feck it... i got a HTC Trophy to try out WP7 (got a great deal) and have been very impressed. Will probably change to one of the new nokia phones when they come out. This incident has just given me a reason not to purchase an iPhone 4S.

Apple's loss for totally ignoring a customers issue. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had at least addressed my issue, even if it was with a valid reason why i needed to change my password.