Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
So far I've been using my main email (gmail) as my Apple ID but recently I've created an Apple ID with @icloud.com

Just curious what you guys use and if there are any real benefits in using an Apple ID with @icloud over your own email address.

iCloud seems poor IMO as an email compared to say Gmail or Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I have three Apple ID; two with dedicated email from my own domain namespace and a .me/.icloud. Merits/Demerits: nothing. For me the main reason why I have apple D on .me/.icloud same as .live/.outlook is to keep my name blocked.

Main mail is via own domain. But as backup .me/.icloud mail are in use (eg password recovery).
To be honest: primary it's a kind of fashion accessory for me. I could live without but nice to have.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
@me.com was easier to type lol...icloud is a ****** email service compared to Hotmail or Gmail but guess I'll stick to my gmail account.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Gmail still.

I used to have a .mac account and I forwarded that to Gmail. It's just a much better service and they update things all the time.

I also IMAP in Mail, so I can use the Apple mail client.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have a total of 6 email accounts, organised in such a way that is designed to keep as much spam, ads etc. from my primary...I use my @me account for shopping on Amazon, Wallmart etc...So that any advertising etc. winds up there and not in my 2 primary addresses.

It's rare I get junk, but lets face it, if you shop online you are going to get junk from time to time. Apples freebies are useful.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Gmail, since I got that long before I used a Mac, and I see no need to switch over or get all my friends and colleagues to change as well.

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
I use my @me.com email address and have had it as my default email address every since @me.com became free from MobileMe

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have my original iTools account that I have been using ever since. There is nothing "wrong" with iCloud email, but there is also nothing "special" about it. It just works well with all my iOS and Mac devices. Given I have had it for the better part of 10 or so years, I also have trouble parting with it. I have a Gmail as well, and typically recommend that to people, even if they have an iOS device. The biggest benifit for me of iCloud is my legacy @mac.com address. :cool:

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
My Hotmail ID is 6 years old and I've been using it everywhere, including as my Apple ID and I think it will continue that way.
I haven't been using my iCloud or me.com email addresses enough - they are both empty lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.