Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Libitina

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
UK
Trying to set up my phone after updating it. Got as far as update Apple ID. When I put in my email it says that the ID is already being used? Have tried changing the password online and it all works fine there, but I can't input the details in my phone.

Someone please tell me I'm just being really dumb and I'm missing something out really simple??

eta: It goes through on the first part. I put in my DOB and it's the page after that.

Jonk1183

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
exact same **** happened to me so i had to use a new email...it worked but now i have a new id idk wtf is going on

markab

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
UK
looks like applied.apple.com is screwed, i can't add people to find my friends because it says i'm not verified but the site won't load to verify.

aajeev

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
looks like applied.apple.com is screwed, i can't add people to find my friends because it says i'm not verified but the site won't load to verify.

Same problem here, even though I'm able to get into the applied.apple.com site, and verified all my email address (I don't see an actual "verify apple id" option). But Find friends is still telling me that my apple id is not verified....

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Same problem here, even though I'm able to get into the applied.apple.com site, and verified all my email address (I don't see an actual "verify apple id" option). But Find friends is still telling me that my apple id is not verified....

I am getting the same problems.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
ARGH!
just locked my self out of my own ****** account for EIGHT hours!!!
:mad:
using the correct name and password thats worked for the past 6 effin years and now its not being recognized.

Libitina

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
UK
Glad it's not me being dumb. Going past an Apple store today so will pop in and get them to sort me out.
You might have to drag me past the ipads though (I need to wait until payday :()

forum user

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
I had the same and I turned out that I used the same email address in two different appleIDs. Try to use the "Find your Apple ID" button on applied.apple.com and check.
Once different email addresses were assigned to the IDs it worked and the email address did verify.

- Olaf

Libitina

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
UK
Well, condescending Genius (Bullring Store) was no help (He doesn't like Macrumors either, apparently I'm the only one having this problem and it's because I'm obviously doing it wrong :rolleyes: ).

Tried setting it up via my Macbook and still having the same problem. Need to go fish around in my Apple ID I think

Eta: Aarrrrrrrrgh! Fed up trying to sort this fecking thing out!

2nd edit: Sorted, set up a new ID in the end as I've given up!

Last edited:

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
okay i had two things going at once for the same issue..

Phone Tech support
the guy said that icloud mail is down
and that the apple id issues are on their end and to 'try back'

over email
worked.
they emailed me back a new password, unlocked the account, i was able to log in, and get it all sorted out
over email, only took about 20 minutes and two messages.

Mx356

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
okay i had two things going at once for the same issue..

Phone Tech support
the guy said that icloud mail is down
and that the apple id issues are on their end and to 'try back'

over email
worked.
they emailed me back a new password, unlocked the account, i was able to log in, and get it all sorted out
over email, only took about 20 minutes and two messages.

What e-mail did you send your message too?

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
for people with errors saying email address "is already in use"....search this forum for that phrase....you'll see tons of threads with people having that problem, including myself.....the system is totally jacked up.

DalesWife

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Sarasota FL
You might have the problem I had back in the July, Not sure so I'll just throw it out there.

In July I got an iPad and wanted to set up FaceTime for the first time since I have a 3gs (no FaceTime). However my AppleID would not work no matter how hard I tried.

After FOUR LONG HOURS on the phone with tech support, turns out I've been an Apple customer for too long. NOT EVEN KIDDING. My Apple ID was "too old" they said. But something about "old Apple ID's were grandfathered in". They had to go "behind the scenes" and make a Case # for both myself and my husband (which took days) and re-configure our Apple ID's. Mind you, we had previously had ZERO problems making purchases from the App store. About three days later, we got an email from Apple saying our IDs were ready.....from there on out, everything works great.

Sorry for not being able to be more clear. What I can tell you is that it I'm not THAT old of a customer.....I bought my first Mac/got my first Apple ID in about 2008. I believe the problem was MobileMe - and Apple User ID's (email addresses) got confused with MobileMe logins (strictly names) Again, sorry for not being more clear....it was all extremely confusing because we had no problems, until we purchased a new product. So if anyone previously (or currently uses) MobileMe, this could be part of the problem. It was a huge headache for us. Good luck!

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
What e-mail did you send your message too?

I just went to their support page, and followed the links for email support. i stayed under 'itunes store'.

there were some changes though after they fixed my account that i think ties into what DalesWife said above. My apple ID was like 6 years old and was just a "name" and my password was just a "word" as well. Once the email support guy unlocked the account i was forced to reset my password, and i can no longer use my original apple ID "name". Now my apple ID is my full email address, and my password had to contain a upper case letter and a number. very annoying. But i think it ties into what she was saying above....

sorry for the rant.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Had the exact same issue. I just used my iTunes Apple Id for "Find My Friends" instead of my iCloud Apple ID. Now works flawlessly.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
iTunes support is just rerouting my message to iCloud and back and forth. I tell them this is an Apple ID issue but they really don't understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.