Apple ID help w/Mac App Store? Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JackSpicer0, Aug 24, 2014.

1. JackSpicer0 macrumors member

I used an old Apple ID to download and install updates from the Mac App Store. I created a new Apple ID for a free iCloud e-mail address. I checked for updates from the App Store and when I tried to sign in, the old Apple ID e-mail shows up in the "E-mail" field and is greyed out, while I can type in the password for the old Apple ID to download and install updates. Is there any way around this? I was thinking of backing up all of my files onto an external hard drive and do a reinstall of Mac OS through the "Internet Recovery" option. Can I log in and use my new Apple ID to get through the reinstall of Mac OS by using "Internet Recovery"? Or, do I have to use my old Apple ID?

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, just switching what Apple ID is used with the Mac App Store?

3. JackSpicer0 thread starter macrumors member

Yep. That's what I'm trying to do. However, the e-mail field has my old e-mail address that I used to sign in and install updates through the App Store. I want to use my new Apple ID, but I can't because the e-mail address field is filled in with my old e-mail address and it's also greyed out.

4. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I think this is what you need: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4484

5. JackSpicer0 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help guys! Everything is working fine now. I think the problem was that apps that were previously installed using my old apple id was the problem. I am currently uninstalling the ones that were tied to my old apple id to see if this works.