apple id help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Balibalistic, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Balibalistic macrumors regular

hey guys, i just bought a used macbook pro from a friend. how do i remove his apple id and add mine so i can get into the app store and so on? i have no disks for it so im at a bit of a loss??

appreciate any help!

2. samac92 macrumors 6502a

If its running lion you can wipe the hard drive by going into Disk Utility on the Recovery Partition and formatting the drive. (This will delete everything.) You will need an internet connection and from the Recovery HD you can redownload an reinstall Lion.

If all you want to do is remove the Apple ID, just go to System Preferences > Users & Groups and click the Change button next to Apple ID.

3. Balibalistic thread starter macrumors regular

Id like to wipe everything.but im not sure what im running. it says 10.6.8. does that tell us anything? im new lol.

4. samac92 macrumors 6502a

Yes that means you are running Snow Leopard, the previous version of Mac OS X.

If you don't have any discs then I recommend you download OS X Lion from the Mac App Store, it costs about $30 I think, this is the new version of OS X. You can burn it to a disc which you can use to to a clean installation.

Download Lion from the Mac App Store, but do not run the installer yet. Then follow these instructions to burn it to a DVD:

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/howto/personal-tech/desktop-os/231002151

Once you have your DVD, put it in your Mac, then shut the Mac down. Turn the Mac back on whilst holding the C key, this will boot into the DVD.

Once it loads (it takes a while) you can click Utilities > Disk Utility, and follow these instruction to reformat the disk, which will delete everything:

http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat_2.htm

Once that has done, you can quit disk utility and then follow the options to install Lion.

5. Balibalistic thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, i followed your instructions and it worked great!!! now another question.....

I hate lion OSX, i now have a copy of snow leopard, can i downgrade back to snow leopard or is it to late??

i find lion slower and just don't like it.

6. samac92 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to find you don't like it, most people here love it. I think you should try and get used to it, most changes made in lion you are able to change back.

If you must downgrade, I suggest Google as I have no experience with that