Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2017
My Apple account is prompting me to verify my email address but I cannot seem to complete the process. this means that i cannot access any of my latest iTunes purchases and that I constantly have an annoying pop-up on my screen.

When I try to verify my address, it tells me that the address is already taken (yes, by me) but I cannot seem to sign in any other way. They appear to be trying to create a new account for me, even though I already have one (and possibly even appear to be signed in??). My email address and store name is even displayed on the screen right above the place they are asking me to "verify your email address"!

I cannot figure this out at all and it is getting rather annoying....any help would be much appreciated.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Try go through the forgotten password/change password route and enter the email address you're trying to verify. Does that work?

ziah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Try go through the forgotten password/change password route and enter the email address you're trying to verify. Does that work?

Hi and thanks so much for your advice. I've tried but there is no forgotten password option. I can enter my password, but then it says I must sign in using an apple ID that is an email address but mine is just a user name. When I try to change my user name to my email address instead, it tells me that I can't because someone has already taken it (yes, that person is me!)
I've pretty much since decided to abandon trying to sign into iCloud as I've never really used it for much anyway. I have uploaded my music manually and found it much easier than trying to figure out all this silly ****....!

ziah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2017
The problem appears to be that you are not signing in with your Apple ID. Do you even have an Apple ID?
Yes, I am already signed in and make purchases through iTunes on my phone. My purchases from other devices used to show up in my phone automatically but after the last software update I can no longer find them.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Yes, I am already signed in and make purchases through iTunes on my phone. My purchases from other devices used to show up in my phone automatically but after the last software update I can no longer find them.

The purchases you made from other devices... were they made using the same Apple ID that you are now currently using? Apple generally does not ask for an email address when making purchases as long as they have your information on file. They only ask for your Apple ID and password. But if you made purchases in the past using another Apple ID, they won't show up on your iPhone as long as you're signed in with the current Apple ID you're using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.