Apple ID & .Mac: Need help please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arkanok, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok, so a long time ago, prior to owning a Mac, I created an Apple ID using my hotmail account for the purpose of the iTunes music store. I've purchased quite a lot of content from it using this Apple ID, but now that I've purchased a Mac, I was thinking about subscribing to .Mac (MobileMe soon), and I've now tried the trial, and definitely want to subscribe once the trial is over. The problem is that, I would prefer using my .mac (or MobileMe account) as my Apple ID for everything -- including the iTunes Store -- and not bother with the old Apple ID (the one linked to my hotmail account). I've looked everywhere I can think of, and tried going into my Apple ID settings in hopes of changing the email address (or login) to the .mac email instead of the hotmail one, but it won't let me....

Is there any possible way to create the .mac account, and transfer all of my purchases from my hotmail login over to my new .mac account?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've done a lot of research on this and, as far as I've been able to determine, it can't be done. I had the same issue, wanted to "merge" accounts or change the old email address to the new .mac address, but alas, no luck.

3. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Bah, that's rather disappointing. I'll continue to search, but I'm not really expecting to find anything.

Thanks though.

Anybody else?

4. marccolis macrumors newbie

Hey, I was trying to do the same and actually did some research online and asked few of my friends...
    So what I did and now it works for me was:
    I had my apple ID with aol.com account and then I purchased my .mac account. At certain point I wanted to use my .mac account for everything and when I was trying to change the email in my iTunes account(Apple ID) i was given an error that the mail I typed in was already in use by .mac/me.com; I just went to iTunes account, logged out from my .aol account and logged in with my apple account + I set up permission for the iTunes store for that mail account (you may change the credit card number if you used different ones buying your .mac and the one you used to pay when buying things from iTunes using your hotmail.com account).
    So now for me it works - hope that is what you wanted to do and you can simply disabled or delete the other (old) hotmail.com account.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That doesn't work. If you want to change your old Apple ID to match your new one, it won't let you because the ID is already in use.

7. quotemeas macrumors regular

My suggestion...

My idea would be when your trial expires, before creating a new MobileMe username, think of one and call Apple asking them to create a new MobileMe account using that new username and at the same time, link/change your iTunes name over to your new MobileMe name. Its a long shot, but maybe Apple has some administrative options over these accounts that would allow a username change even though the one you want/created is in use. They will mostly likely have to verify you are you for security reasons. Again, a slim chance this is possible. Best of luck.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no way you can "merge" two Apple ID accounts, to make your buying history from both accounts appear under one. Apple IDs are separate and distinct from MobileMe accounts. One can have an Apple ID and buy from the Apple stores using that ID, but not have a MobileMe account. Your purchase history is linked to your Apple ID used at the time of purchase and there is no way to change that.

9. jaw3net macrumors regular

jaw3net

I'd like to do this as well. Was using a Gmail account for my Apple ID. Have now created a MobileMe account and want to use my @me.com account as my one and only Apple ID vs. having two Apple IDs (gmail and now me.com). I don't really care about transferring previous purchases to the new ID, I'd just prefer to use my me.com address as the ID.

If anyone knows a workaround for this, please let me know. I'm tempted to call Apple to see what they could do, if anything.

10. shm00n macrumors newbie

Just phoned AppleCare with this exact problem (after searching the forums), nice woman directed me to:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/itunes/store/email/

Fill in the form at the bottom using the reason code "Please convert my existing account to my MobileMe account", and they'll sort it out within 24 hours.

I'll let you know how it goes :)

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

12. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I know this is a slightly old thread but my apple ID is myname@mac.com but i don't have MobileMe. I created the .mac ID on apple.com Can i use this address for email or is just for Apple services on iTunes or the Apple Store? I cant seem to get a direct answer.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you don't have MobileMe, you can't use it for email. I had MobileMe and an Apple ID that I also used for the Apple Store and iTunes. After a year, I chose not to renew MobileMe. I can no longer get emails to that account, but it still works as my Apple ID for the store and iTunes.

14. ahmcphee macrumors newbie

If you go to http://store.apple.com/us/help/your_account?mco=MTM3NDgyODk , scroll down to "Manage Account" and click the blue "click here" hyperlink. Then choose "Change Account Information" and you'll be able to change your id there.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That doesn't answer the OP's question. There is no way to change your Apple ID and have purchases made under the old ID show up under the new ID.

16. DanInRio macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

The following might be of help. It's from the website.

Sorry, but this is not possible at this time via our online tools. You can speak with an AppleCare representative, who can help you consolidate your registered Apple products. They can also help register your iPods, iPhones, or Mac computers under a single Apple ID.

http://www.apple.com/contact

hope it helps yas

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That doesn't cover iTunes purchases, as the OP was asking about. What is it with this trend of newbies posting misinformation as their first and only post in the forum? :rolleyes:

18. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

I've called with the exact same request a couple times. They have told me every time, "No." So out of extreme desperation, I emailed Steve Jobs. He hasn't gotten back to me yet but I expect it to be any day now. (*stares at watch impatiently)