Apple ID nightmare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rogertb, Jul 28, 2016.

1. rogertb macrumors newbie

I hope to keep this brief ... I forgot my apple id, during the reset process (mobile number etc) I was asked for c/card number, expiry date and security code, I entered all of this CORRECTLY but kept getting a message "Not correct" ... so I entered into a password reset routine, this means that after 3 or 4 days I would receive an email explaining how to reset, 5 days later I get a bit concerned, eventually got through to an Apple help desk and was told that as there had been some problems, it was not a few days at the moment but 4-6 WEEKS. I have an iMac, iPhone and iPad and constanly get, every few seconds, a popup asking for my ID or password, it's a total pita ..... anyone any ideas about what I can do please ? ... Roger

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

Nothing can be done here, call Apple back and ask for it to be escalated.

3. rogertb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but I didn't expect something to be done just maybe some advice to get rid of the constant popups, maybe someone else has been going through the same grief ... they cannot escalate it for me, why should they ? they tell me they have many thousands in the system needing resets because of a screw up with ids and passwords after introduction of 2 part authentication ... typical !
    --- Post Merged, Jul 28, 2016 ---
    Of course the other problem is no access to itunes, app store, icloud etc ... for maybe 6 weeks or more!

PS Is this the best forum for this question please ?

4. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

That 'typical' is surely referring to the fact that people set up extra security and then irresponsibly did not look into all the stipulations of that additional security, no?

As far as the popups go, once they start I've not found a consistent way to shut them down. Perhaps turning off Wi-Fi, but that's not a fun solution.

5. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Exactly how did you get through to an Apple Helpdesk? Was a phone number provided in some type of email or did you look up the legitimate Apple support number? I ask, because I'm surprised that Apple would actually request your credit card information as part of an account reset process. I may be wrong (because I've never gone through the process) but unless someone else can confirm that that is part of the official Apple account recovery process, I would worry that you may have fallen victim to a phishing scam and they have now taken over your account, and now have your credit card.

6. Goatllama, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

The new two-factor security asks for partial credit card info to speed up account recovery, and AppleCare will ask for both expiration date and the first 6 and last 4 numbers of your credit card to verify identity. If the person asks for anything more than that (such as the security code, SSN), they are illegitimate.

Edit: I stand corrected! Two factor asks for the whole card number and security code. Wow.

7. rogertb thread starter macrumors newbie

Well they did !

Oh yes they did: Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 08.34.54.jpg

8. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Oh wow. News to me! Good to know.