Apple ID Password Problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by drgrafix, Nov 9, 2011.

1. drgrafix macrumors regular

I have an iPhone4 (updated to IOS5) and for the most part its been fine for the year+ that I've had it. In fact, just bought my wife a white 4 for her birthday and she loves it. Didn't bother with the 4s because she doesn't need the features and the $99 price was too good to pass up!

OK... I went to the App Store and it said I need a bunch of updates so I said sure, go to town. Asked me for my AppleID and I put it in and it was rejected. Went through this several times then it said I had to reset it. Went through the reset process and it said I can't use my desired password because it had been used in the past year (obviously). I don't understand that... why can't I use my Apple ID password again? I've never heard of any service refusing to let you use _YOUR_ desired password. It hadn't been locked out or anything like that, I just think there's a bug in IOS5 that loses your password but its still there someplace because it remembers it. And if it knows it was used during the last 12 months, why can't you continue to use it?

Some people are having multiples of this problem, so Apple is asking us to come up with multiple, user-specific and unique passwords during the course of the year because there's a flaw in their software?

If there's a solution to allow me to continue to use my password, tell me about it or point me to it. This is dumb.

Mike

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

From personal experience, almost every program/service I use won't let me re-use a password for a period of time (e.g. 12 months). I think this is just a security feature in case your account is comprimised. If that happens, resetting your password to the same one that was in place when it was comprimised wouldn't result in a secure account.

3. drgrafix thread starter macrumors regular

First... I have to apologize for the double-post. I couldn't figure out how to delete one and I had a doctor's appointment so I left it hanging... sorry Mods.

With regard to the password I'm much more concerned as to why Apple is rejecting the correct password than replacing it. Sure its a nuisance to come up with new passwords but this has happened before and it even happened this morning wth my wife's 3 day old iPhone. I set it up for her and she even wrote her PW and pasted it someplace in our kitchen LOL... and we used it two days ago! So this morning neither hers nor mine worked. What gives?

Mike

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

What gives, you ask? I honestly don't know, in your case. One possible scenario, however unlikely, is that Apple for some reason decided that your accounts had been comprimised and, thus, forced you to change your passwords.

Have you tried signing in here? Just curious if you're able to.

5. trouble747 macrumors 6502

This just happened to me, as well. I never input the incorrect password; nevertheless, a popup warned me that my account was locked and needed to be reset. Not only could I not use the same password I've been using for years, but the new one requires numbers/letters/uppercase/lowercase etc.

Which wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't prompt you to enter it every time you download an app or update.

6. gpo1956 macrumors member

The same thing just happened to me tonight. didi anyone ever find a fix for this? I've changed my pasword several times and it keeps rejecting it. I can get on my pc and it will accept my newest one, but not on my phone. Its a 4s by the way.

7. gpo1956 macrumors member

Update. Now my password is accepted, but when I download an app from the App Store, it gets a blank gray icon with the Waiting.... It never finishes downloading. Anyone seen this before?"