Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zZebracurtainZz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
So ages ago I made my apple account with my xxx@hotmail.com email and have used that since. I have since switched to xxx@gmail.com and have been using it for awhile without worry. All my hotmail emails have been forwarded to my new one and everything was golden. I decided to change it from xxx@hotmail.com to xxx@gmail.com today. It seemed to have worked right but then I couldn't log in using either afterwards. I tried to reset the password for both and it worked using the hotmail email address. With my new reset password I logged in.
The problem is that now my apple ID is xxx@Mac.com! I want it to ideally be my gmail but I can't change it to that OR the hotmail now. Someone help!
tl;dr My Apple ID changed from @hotmail.com/@gmail.com to @mac.com and I want it back the other way.

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
So ages ago I made my apple account with my xxx@hotmail.com email and have used that since. I have since switched to xxx@gmail.com and have been using it for awhile without worry. All my hotmail emails have been forwarded to my new one and everything was golden. I decided to change it from xxx@hotmail.com to xxx@gmail.com today. It seemed to have worked right but then I couldn't log in using either afterwards. I tried to reset the password for both and it worked using the hotmail email address. With my new reset password I logged in.
The problem is that now my apple ID is xxx@Mac.com! I want it to ideally be my gmail but I can't change it to that OR the hotmail now. Someone help!
tl;dr My Apple ID changed from @hotmail.com/@gmail.com to @mac.com and I want it back the other way.
Apple recommends you change your Apple ID to your current, working email address. This will not create another Apple ID, it will only change it to your working email address. See How to change the name you use for your Apple ID if you'd like more information.

Note: @mac.com and @me.com Apple IDs can not be renamed. If you no longer use the .mac or .me email address, be sure to update your Apple ID information with your current, preferred email addresshttp://support.apple.com/kb/he37 Hopefully this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.