Apple ID recovery

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by StarShot, Jul 16, 2019.

1. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

Probably a stupid question, but never-the-less, I received a text today that said...

Your Apple ID is now ready to be recovered.

Go to apple.com/recover and enter your Apple ID to get started.

Need help: Go to apple.com/support

I'm very leery about responding to messages such as the above. Am I being silly or chicken hearted?

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Are you having any trouble signing in to your AppleID?
    THAT link that you got is for customers who are having those troubles, or have simply forgot their AppleID password.
    If you are not having any such problems, then it's possible that someone else is attempting to sign in to your AppleID, and has clicked a link for "I forgot my password". That link is then offered, which takes you to an AppleID support page, so you can use other methods to retrieve your password.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Sounds like a SCAM phishing email to me.
    They are fishing for your login credentials.

I would IGNORE this.

If you are still concerned about it, CALL APPLE ON THE PHONE and ask if there are any problems with your account.
    My guess is that they'll respond, "no".

4. MSastre macrumors 6502a

MSastre

Agree .. it's most likely a scam. I get those every now and then.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hover your mouse above that spot in the email to see what the URL really is. I'd bet it is not an apple.com URL, but rather some phishing site trying to trick you and steal your information.

If it is, forward it as an attachment to reportphishing@apple.com

6. StarShot, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2019

StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502a

StarShot

I wasn't totally honest in my thread starter in that I DID do exactly what you said which I do in all cases of this type of email and I get a LOT of it. I realize that almost all this crap is phished, but I wasn't sure if the "evil doers" have the ability to phish an address like they can with a phone number.

I got one this morning supposedly from AppleID that right clicking reviewed it to be from

fx8itdoo89@locationaccountid.com Quite a bit of this crap ends in ***.ru or some other location. This one claims I made a paymount of $34.99 and a link to "DISPUTE" the charge.

I have to bite my tongue sometimes to keep from replying with something like,

Excuse me, but you must have me confused with someone that's ****ing STUPID.

And I just forwarded the message to reportphishing@apple.com