Apple ID stolen?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chunyuen93, Oct 27, 2013.

1. chunyuen93 macrumors newbie

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=383&t=3611739
    It looks like some days ago there was a "massive" amount of Apple ID in Taiwan area was stolen.
    Randomly saw it somewhere.
    I'm not sure about the validity though.
    Not quite sure what happened, it's a Chinese site.

2. susuwatari macrumors newbie

It seems all the hacked account have their emails changed to 163.com (a mainland mail provider), pointing to the possible involvement of mainland china attackers. I suspect all the users with ID stolen shared their AppleID username/password with another services provided by the mainland. By compromising the security of that service, theoretically one can use the same password to access and hence change the AppleID account detail.

I'm quite sure this a batch attack where only corresponding email in AppleID is changed, from the reports in mobile01, most (if not all) do not suffer financial losses yet from credit card fraud.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yea it was probably something like that. A lot of people use the same password combination in several places. It is a good idea to use a unique password for each site so that if one gets compromised then people don't get access to your other sites. I don't use unique password everywhere, but important things like my Apple account certainly have unique passwords.

4. kelvinzhou1000 macrumors newbie

Apple ID

Apple ID is the key to access your purchasing history and contains other most of sensitive personal information, such as credit card information. If it was lost or stolen, you should contact the Apple company information center officer to help you to shut down your account immediately and reset up a brand new account for safety.