Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
Can anyone advise on the following:-

We have iMac iPads and iPhones. I sync everything from my iMac to my iPad, iPhone and my wife's iPad and iPhone. Up to now I have only been using an Apple iD for myself.

I have music/apps on all devices. Some of the music was purchased from Apple and some was imported.

Now I have created a Apple iD for my wife.

If she logs on with that on her iPad/iPhone what effect will that have on the content that has already been synched from my iMac under my Apple iD

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You're saying that your wife's iPad and iPhone were listed under your Apple ID along with your devices? If that's so, she would have to log on to her iPad and iPhone with your Apple ID and password. Everything that has been synced should remain available to her.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Can anyone advise on the following:-

We have iMac iPads and iPhones. I sync everything from my iMac to my iPad, iPhone and my wife's iPad and iPhone. Up to now I have only been using an Apple iD for myself.

I have music/apps on all devices. Some of the music was purchased from Apple and some was imported.

Now I have created a Apple iD for my wife.

If she logs on with that on her iPad/iPhone what effect will that have on the content that has already been synched from my iMac under my Apple iD

There are actually two separate places where AppleIDs are used on your device - iCloud and iTunes/App Store. You can use the same AppleID for both or use separate AppleIDs for each. The AppleID used for iTunes/App Store will dictate what apps and media you can access on the device - only apps and media purchased through that AppleID in iTunes/App Store will be available. Similarly, the AppleID that you use to log into iCloud will dictate what data is synced with that device (contacts, calendars, photos, etc).

There is currently NO WAY to combine or merge AppleIDs, and media and apps purchased with an AppleID will only be accessible via that AppleID.

However, you can use separate AppleIDs on multiple devices and share content IF you set them up using the Family Share configuration, where one AppleID is considered the "parent" and the others are considered "child/children"... but you should be able share apps and media of an AppleID for another family member (under the Family Share configuration).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201088

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
Thanks for the swift reply. I do not use iCloud on any device. On my wife's iPad/iPhone I have previously synced music and Apps to her iPad/iPhone through my iMac (I still use the older version of iTunes that allows you to do this). I have just created an Apple ID for her. During daily use her devices are not logged into my Apple ID. She tends to get the annoy ing messages that pop up from time to time trolling her to log into her Apple account (which would have been mine) So I though that she could now log in using the Apple ID that I created for her.

So If she does this on her devices does that mean she will be immediately locked out of any Apps/Music that I have added from my iMac and synched to her devices? Or would they still be usable?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Thanks for the swift reply. I do not use iCloud on any device. On my wife's iPad/iPhone I have previously synced music and Apps to her iPad/iPhone through my iMac (I still use the older version of iTunes that allows you to do this). I have just created an Apple ID for her. During daily use her devices are not logged into my Apple ID. She tends to get the annoy ing messages that pop up from time to time trolling her to log into her Apple account (which would have been mine) So I though that she could now log in using the Apple ID that I created for her.

So If she does this on her devices does that mean she will be immediately locked out of any Apps/Music that I have added from my iMac and synched to her devices? Or would they still be usable?

If I remember correctly, she will probably be able to use the apps... she may be prompted to sign in on occasion, but will definitely be forced to sign in when she needs to update one of the apps... or, just add her new AppleID to yours as a part of the Family Sharing config, as described in the link that I posted above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.