Apple IDs and iCloud email addresses

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by exi, Dec 30, 2013.

1. exi macrumors 6502

My old, original Apple ID is a @gmail.com address.

I realize I can sign in with my iCloud email address or any of its aliases, as all @iCloud.com addresses are Apple IDs already, per Apple.

What I'm trying to do is remove any trace of anything @gmail.com as regards Apple IDs, and I can't seem to find a way to do it. I am unable to change my Apple ID to my @iCloud.com address, as you cannot make an Apple ID an @iCloud address -- yet they already are Apple IDs?

Anyone have any suggestions/advice? Much appreciated.

2. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

unfortunately, it can't be done. I have the same problem, but it's not much of an issue as we just use it for our iTunes store account and have our own iCloud accounts separate.

The problem is any ID with iCloud, automatically creates an iTunes/icloud account using that info. So if you try to change it to that it can't be done, as it already is associated as an account. What's cool is you can use them separately. So yeah it's annoying I can't change it, but we just both use it signed into the iTunes store and sign in our own iCloud accounts on our own machines. Works well