Apple IDs and small business

Discussion in 'macOS' started by decksnap, Nov 8, 2013.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Curious to hear from anyone who is charge of keeping systems and software up to date in a small business. Now that upgrades and software is (mostly) run through the Mac App store, I'm trying to plan out how to administer software to users and manage Apple IDs.

Are you using one ID to log into everyone's App store and upgrade software, and giving out separate IDs for people to use for iCloud? Or let people BYO appleID for the iCloud stuff?

Another method I had heard was to use individual accounts on each system's store, and just 'gift' them apps from a master account, but I don't even know if that works.

Talked to apple, they were really clueless and basically said they're not set up for the small business scenario. Any ideas welcome!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A couple things to get you headed in the right direction.

Look at OS X Server Edition on one of your Macs. It can be used to manage and push out app updates.

Also, Apple has a volume licensing program for businesses. You can read more about it here.

Sounds like you got a clueless Apple rep. on the phone.

3. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Excellent thank you. We are running Server. Guess I'll have to learn how to use it for more than a file server!