Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi all,

Dont know if anyone could answer this for me, both me and my partner share the same Apple ID for purchases (my apple ID) which is currently set at an @hotmail.co.uk email address.

However, we both have separate iCloud accounts, personA@hotmail.co.uk & personB@me.com, as my partners was created after the roll out of iCloud.

My question is this, currently in my account from the Apple ID website, it is giving me the option of making my *NEW* @icloud.com email address my apple ID, this is great.

However, on my partners it isnt giving this option just lists their @icloud.com as an alternate email address with no option to make their @iCloud the apple ID. Do you know if it is going to be possible for current @me.com apple ID's to become @iCloud.com apple ID or is this option only going to be available for customers with apple ID's like hotmail, gmail etc...

Thanks

James

Beachmonkey

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
I dont think you can make the new @icloud.com addresses your Apple ID. I tried to and it says the Apple ID must be a non-Apple owned domain. Of course I have only been an Apple user for one week now, but that is one thing I tried :)

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I dont think you can make the new @icloud.com addresses your Apple ID. I tried to and it says the Apple ID must be a non-Apple owned domain. Of course I have only been an Apple user for one week now, but that is one thing I tried :)

it seems iCloud.com domain is still a work in progress. Apple is still in the process of transitioning former MobileMe domain users into their iCloud domain. Maybe once the transition is done, they will smoothen things out and THEN we can finally change/use our icloud.com email address as our Apple ID.

Hopefully it will be fixed in the next few weeks. I'm sure they are focusing on something more critical... like the Apple Maps thinggy, which received so much bad press that many knowledgeable technology experts such as Mitt Romney, Barack Obama, Bristol Palin, Kim Kardashian, Yoko Ono, and Syrian Dictator Bashar al-Assad said very bad things about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.