Apple II Floppy

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Gentile, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I have about 5 Apple IIe floppy disks (5 1/4) that I used during school many years back. I am not sure what is on them - some could be blank. That is one reason I would hate to spend too much money on recovering the data.

What is the easiest and most cost effective way to see what is on the disks and to copy them to my current mac.

I have a new iMac and an older PowerBook with a 3 1/4 floppy drive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated: buy an old Apple IIe system? Send it in to a recovery site.

2. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

That would be to find a friend in your town with Apple II hardware. :) Mac user groups tend to be full of 'em.

You probably won't get away with buying a system on eBay for under 40-50 bucks by the time shipping is included. Patient buyers can get better deals than impatient ones, though. And there's nothing like having the real thing...

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Get IIc with monitor and external 3.5 for cheap. Those have a built in 5.25. Transfer the data to the 3.5. Get an external USB 3.5 for your Mac and use Apple II emulation software to read and transfer the data.

Seems a little involved, but most of it is acquiring the equipment...

4. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

Try comp.sys.apple2 - someone there may be willing to rip your disks.

5. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I would post on craigslist in the community thread. You never know if the nice old lady next door might have one.