Apple IIc Disk Set

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by AirmanPika, Feb 11, 2010.

1. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

Anyone know of a site that might have images of all the disks that originally came with the Apple IIc? System Utilities, ProDOS, The Apple at Play, etc? I just got an Apple IIc with no software and I'm all set with everything I need to make new disks but I can't find anything in any of the online repositories. They are either not there or too cryptically named to find.

At some point I want to get an original set (Some sets show up on ebay but for absurd prices) but for now copies will suffice if I can get the images.

Thanks

2. AirmanPika thread starter macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Thanks for the link - Im going to add these to my personal archive now (and use them to restore a friends ][c to working order) - Just as a heads-up Im attempting to create a kindve permanent software/disk image archive for Apple ][, Apple III, Lisa and Mac OS and all other things Apple :D

4. dsonnier1 macrumors newbie

I have some I believe OS 7.1

I also have a couple of non-dead Quadra 700s that I'm willing to part with...

5. dsonnier1 macrumors newbie

6. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

Glad to hear it! IMO, the imaging of old software is maybe the most important part of preserving a platform - and it seems to get the least attention. The endurance of these old 5.25" disks is admirable, but they're not going to last forever, and unless they've been imaged their contents will be lost. Lots of retro-computing fans seem to fetishize hardware while ignoring almost everything else; heck, I'd argue that if they had the means and the time, then they had an obligation to image and upload anything in their software libraries that wasn't already online.

And there's so much history in old software - you can track the evolution of certain apps, see exactly how their features grew over time and how they fit into the bigger picture of changing technology, or even pick out nuggets of culture (I found one of MECC's old Elementary volumes with a missile-launching game that made very explicit references to the perceived Soviet threat)... all in much more detail than any Wired Magazine article would give you.

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yeah, when I get new old software, I immediately image the disk(s). I've already had to 'restore' original images to data-failed floppies for some software. (Also, I prefer to keep the original disk original as much as possible.)

8. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

PD Software for the Apple //

If you have 8-Bit (Apple // version) you can download some public domain software for the local Apple // user group that used to be here.

www.apple2forever.org

Hugh