Apple IIe power supply overheating

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by 64K, Jun 7, 2011.

1. 64K macrumors newbie

I recently got an Apple IIe and user it for about 50 minutes. After this period of time the power supply unit started smoking [not a lot but it did] and it smelled charred. I instantly switched the device off and opened it - nothing seemed damaged. What should I do now?
    Shall I just try to switch it on again or is this a possible mistake?

Please give me your advice.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Might be too many expansion cards. Or more likely some capacitors have dried out.

3. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

The main power filter capacitor has dried out. At least you didn't get the percussive and exciting 'pop' that some folks do. If you're handy with tools (drill, soldering iron, riviter) you can rejuvenate your power supply yourself. Just pick up some equivalent capacitors at your friendly neighborhood electronics supplier and have at it.

There are various references online to schematics, etc. to help; but you can likely still read the values on your capacitors since nothing exploded. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, it'll actually still work - it'll just smell and not provide as clean of power to the IIe. Then just look for a replacement on craigslist, auction sites, or wherever.

4. 64K thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks @blueroom and @DavidSchmidt; I think you're right and a capacitor has dried out. But just in case - what does "Might be too many expansion cards." mean? There is just one place for another card free, I used the computer like I got it [I don't even know what 3 of the cards do]. Shall I put them out? I only need the ones for two disc drives.
    And whats's about "...it'll actually still work - it'll just smell and not provide as clean of power to the IIe."? What means "clean of power" for using the device?

5. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

If you have a healthy power supply, it doesn't mean anything. If your power supply is marginal, "too many" might be one.

Here's a decent explanation:
    http://my.execpc.com/~endlr/line-filter.html