Apple IIe Questions

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Lordskelic, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Lordskelic macrumors regular

Lordskelic

My grandpa bought me an Apple IIe Platnium, a Commodore 64 and a TI99-4A for $20. I'm the most interested in the Apple II. I got it turned on, it works fine, but now I'm wondering: Is there anything I can do without a disk-drive? I really don't want to buy a disk drive as they are quite expensive, so is there any workarounds? If not should I sell it? If so, how much should I sell it for?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Connect it via a serial cable to a modern PC (serial cables are cheap online, as are USB-to-serial adapters for your modern PC,) and you can use various programs to load software directly via serial cable.

You could even use the audio out on your modern PC to send data to the Apple II's cassette port.

3. Lordskelic thread starter macrumors regular

Lordskelic

Is it possible you could direct me to where I can get the software I need? (Windows software preferred)

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I linked to a sub-page previously, the main link is here. It's a Java application, so on Windows you'll need to download Java.

5. tyche macrumors 6502

Another option is the Apple Game Server http://a2gameserver.berlios.de/ which I believe pushes single binaries to the Apple's memory instead of a disk image.

In the end, the Apple isn't much use without a floppy drive. There are other options such as a drive that uses compact flash instead of needing 5 1/4" floppys but they aren't cheap.

6. Lordskelic thread starter macrumors regular

Lordskelic

Thank you very much.

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I completely forgot about A2GS! That is also an excellent choice.

8. tyche macrumors 6502

Based off A2GS, this new tool is about as simple as it can get.

Online Apple Game Server. Download games from a web page to your Apple ][ via cassette port.

http://asciiexpress.net/gameserver/

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That....

Is....

AWESOME!!!!!

(Crap... I don't have any Apple IIs with a cassette port! Just Iic and IIGS machines!)

10. tyche macrumors 6502

I just have a //c as well so I thought I'd try this out with emulation for fun. I saved the .wav file of one of the games, dragged it into iTunes, converted it to aiff, then started up Virtual II and ued the cassette tape drive to load the file. Presto! Talk about a roundabout way but really cool it works.