Apple IIe Seems to not work, help?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by DavidFulero, Jul 14, 2009.

1. DavidFulero macrumors member

Pulled the old 2e out of dads garage today and i have loaded dos 3.3 and the apple 2 sample programs into the dual floppys and I seem to be getting no response. The computer seems to turn on, the light next to the black apple button is on, and the monitor works, but no lights come on on the floppy drives, are the drives broken or is something more serious wrong with 2e?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Both floppy drives don't work? I would think it unlikely they would both just happen to break at the same time... All I can tell you is, it may be something more then the floppy drives.

3. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Do you see the "APPLE ][" or "Apple //e" banner on the monitor when you turn it on?

4. DavidFulero thread starter macrumors member

No I don't see anything on the monitor though I may have it calibrated wrong, anybody know how to calibrate a Monitor 3?

5. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Probably a bad sign. Does the computer "beep" when you turn it on?
    Just hook any working composite video source to it (VCR, camera, Nintendo...) and see if it shows a picture.

6. DavidFulero thread starter macrumors member

No beeping noise when I turn it on in fact I get no response until I push the black apple button then the light next to it turns on, but other than that I get no response, I had assumed that it wouldn't do anything without discs, but it still doesn't do anything. Is it dead?

7. DavidFulero thread starter macrumors member

Figured it out! :D Opened it up and jiggled the board the disk drives are connected to and everything powered on, I see apple 2 on the screen :D
    thanks for the help

8. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

What is a black apple button, exactly? Apple IIe computers had rocker switches in the back as part of the power supply...?

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Apple had the "closed" and "open" apples as command buttons back in the day.

Eventually they dropped the closed/filled-in one for just the open apple, now known as COMMAND

10. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Yes, but they don't turn the power on or off...

11. DavidFulero thread starter macrumors member

Idk why it made the light come on, but it did lol, so I tried it out last night and it seems to work, ran fender bender, the missing ring and go successfully though the keyboard is kind of wonky, it has problems detecting the k and l buttons and the arrow keys are very on/off, but other than that the computer runs fine, after like a decade of sitting in a garage lol. Guess it just goes to show how hardy apples really are :cool:

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

did the closed apples do that? i dont recall that being the case.

13. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

I swear, the Apple //e is one of the hardiest workhorses ever made. Low chip count, solid construction, revamped everything - I'm shocked when I find one that doesn't work. Flaky ][/][+'s, on the other hand, are all over the place.