Apple III Opportunity

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by JohnGrey, Jul 23, 2013.

1. JohnGrey, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

There's a new eBay listing for an Apple III, in really excellent condition. Little if any yellowing. Comes with a Monitor III, and an ProFile with a non-functioning hard drive. If anyone's interested, you better snag it because I don't see it sticking around for very long.

Listing: Apple III SOLD

Update 1224 EDT: That was faster than I thought. I hope someone here was the lucky buyer.

~ John

2. JohnGrey thread starter macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

So I found a strange one on eBay. It's an Apple III with basic badges, a port cluster that matches the III plus but lacks the symbol stripe above the ports, no memory configuration label on the baseplate, and has the tan/white letter keyboard of an RevA/B IIe. What do we have here? A Frankenstein cooked up in a tinkerer's basement, or an internal prototype? Any thoughts are encouraged.

eBay Listing

3. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

It's a /// in the middle of an upgrade to a ///+.

4. JohnGrey thread starter macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

Normally I would agree. In fact, my first thought was that this was a 12-volt pre-revision that experienced a hardware failure and was repaired with a III plus base plate and port cluster. But, to my recollection, I have never seen a III, pre-rev, rev, or plus, that has a tan/white keyboard like the RevA/B IIe. All of the non-plus models I've seen have the chocolate/white keys and the plusses all have beige/black keys like the IIe Enhanced.

5. tdiaz macrumors 6502

But I have seen such a beast.

.. people made stuff out of parts all the time. :)

Of the 5 /// Plus's I have here, two of them are service part collections. :)

6. tdiaz macrumors 6502

That auction was very likely a seed unit, that someone removed the sticker.

As it's basically a /// Plus with an older style keyboard. They didn't get released with that keyboard on them. But it's the right layout.

The /// Plus has nut plates for attaching the periphery cables where as the /// did not.

The one auctioned is very similar to this one that I have:

No bezel plate on the backplane with port identification markings.
    Plain brushed metal base plate.
    Original //e color scheme & layout keyboard, except mine has the European keyboard.
    No serial # on the logic board (usually between slots 1 and 2)
    No system serial number sticker, though the auction listing one has a glue pattern that is similar to the standard /// style sticker. The /// Plus sticker is a proper rectangle, and not missing the upper left corner. That's the sticker that has the arrow pointing at the power supply saying not to open the small metal cover, and the other portion has the system serial # and [ ] 128 or [ ] 256K.

Not pictured, that I got at the same time with this /// Plus are a Disk /// drive that has a generic gray round cable with d-sub 25 pin connector for the back of the /// Plus, a Monitor /// with a purpleish screen overlay instead of the green, and two unused service part packaged /// Plus motherboards.

I've got at least two other /// Plus systems and several ///'s in various condition from hangar queen to working, with one in the matching box.

One of the release model /// Plus's has an Apple asset tag on it and is serial # 6548.

I wish it was 6502 :)

Attached Files:

7. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Apple III drive

I have an apple III external floppy drive and was wondering if any of you had a faceplate I could get, or know someone who has one?

That and finding a profile drive would be awesome, it needs a card to work in the III correct?

8. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Does that mean you have a Disk II for the /// and it's missing the whole front black faceplate?

Because on the /// styled drive the faceplate is incorporated into the upper case half.

Profile cards are fairly common for me. But I've got to post some more to swap stuff. Halfway there.

9. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Label plate

I have the drive // external but the name plate/apple are missing.

I don't have a card for a profile or a profile itself, but would love one to complete my ///.

10. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Ah, the less likely part that someone would want to give up.
    Hmmm..

They don't come off without wrecking them anyway. You'd want to swap the whole front piece off another drive.

Otherwise I have generic drive parts, (basically a bunch of Shugart SA-400s for picking stuff off of)

11. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Drive works

Ya the drive works great just the emblem is gone.