Apple IM App

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VAJim, Jan 1, 2015.

1. VAJim macrumors newbie

I was in my local Verizon store yesterday and the rep was trying to explain to me how the Apple IM app works. He basically said that it's best to 'turn off' the app. This was to prevent the text messages you send being counted against your data plan. He said the IM app uses the 'Internet'.

From reading, it sounds like the Apple IM app is fine if you're texting another IOS Apple phone, otherwise it uses your cellular net...?

What's the real story?

Thanks

2. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Are you speaking about iMessage ?

This could help:

https://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

Basically is an IM app fully integrated with the normal sms managing app. It uses your data plan, for sure, but not so much (if you limit the use at text).

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple's iMessage service can replace texting when using it with other iOS users means that the messages do not count as texts. You can send regular txt messages and it will count against your txt message quota.

Turning off iMessage makes no sense, and I wouldn't recommend it. You're purposely shutting off functionality for no perceived benefit.

4. VAJim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

The part about green and blue text boxes makes it sound like there is a difference of some sort.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Green boxes means you are sending sms, while blue boxes means they are iMessage.
    As I said, they are completely integrated so you don't have to know if the receiver has an iPhone or not.
    You text him/her, if the number is associated with an iDevice, an iMessage will be send, otherwise it will be a normal sms.

6. rugmankc, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Hi Jim. Happy New Year. Just have all your friends get iPhones. no more need for texting. That's what my son did to me. He won't use anything Google like Hangouts. He is not local so we message more now. Since I love the phone it is a Win Win.

7. VAJim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

I guess my real question is....."Is there ever a situation that sending a Apple IM text will count against my data plan?" I have a Iphone6 plus with Verizon.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes, blue iMessages count as data. HOWEVER, the amount of data used is extremely small. I send lots of messages daily, and IMessage has used only about 30KB of data in the past three weeks.

Also, if you're connected to wifi, iMessage will use the wifi connection instead of cellular data.

Bottom line: the amount of data used by iMessage is so small that even on the smallest data plan, you're unlikely to notice it.

You can also always see how much data iMessage is using by checking Settings -> Cellular -> Usage --> System Services.

9. Paco II macrumors 65816

Yes. If iMessage is enabled, and you send a message to another person that also has iMessage enabled, it will always count against your data plan if you are not on wifi.

Note that iMessage can be disabled if you need to not use data for messaging.

10. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Using Settings doesn't give me accurate data usage. I type *3282# on keyboard. And lately MyAtt app has been off on data usage. Need to check on that.

11. Paco II macrumors 65816

The irony of all this is that once upon a time, SMS cost more than data. Now more and more SMS is unlimited and data has now become the precious commodity for some.

12. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

The data usage would be so small that it would not really affect your data limit, I been using iheartradio app to listen to my favorite radio show, I do it about every day for an hour or so, and after 2 weeks I have only used about 200MB of data, I have 10 GB of data to use...

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I wouldn't worry about imessages using up your data, OP.

14. Paco II macrumors 65816

Sorry but disagree. If OP has tiny data plan, or is in some scenario where they need to worry about data usage, then they should worry about iMessage usage. Photo attachments, video attachments, sent, received. These things can add up.

15. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Moderate user with 3gb and rarely use it. Downloads/Streaming and lots of Speed Tests will have most impact.

16. Paco II macrumors 65816

Remember everyone: there are tiny data plans. Consumer Cellular has a 20MB, yes megabyte, data plan.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

How is that relevant when the OP says Verizon in his first sentence...

18. Applejuiced, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

More nonsense by clueless verizon reps.
    Turn off a great imessage feature claiming that it will use up the internet.
    Did you ask her how much data a text message/imessage will use from your internet?
    Answer:
    A regular message containing only characters will use less than 120 bytes of data.
    That's laughable to even consider it.
    You will need to send over 8333 text messages to use 1MB of your data plan.

19. Paco II macrumors 65816

Apple IM App

Again, it needs to be pointed out that iMessage allows sending and receiving of media. And that can allow for a lot more data to get used.

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Every single iMessage will count on your data plan.
    What kind of data plan do you have?

----------

True. I have unlimited sms on my monthly plan (they used to cost 12 cents/each), but I use iMessage also for pictures, photos and videos.

21. VAJim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all.

I've learned.

So when folks like Verizon says..."unlimited talk AND TEXT, they don't really mean free. As small as it may appear, you do end up paying for the text in some sort of plan.

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

True but there are very cheap data plans that offer only 512 Mb /mo, and that could be a problem.

----------

Has not Verizon cheap data plans ?

----------

No no you are messing things up!
    Texts and iMessage are two separates things.
    Do you have unlimited texts on your plan?
    How much data are included?

23. VAJim thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is going to be unlimited talk and text with 10gb of data with Verizon

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

So you are fine: you are not going to pay anything more than your monthly bill.
    Leave iMessage on and just use your iPhone.

25. VAJim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

The part about texts and iMessage being two separates things has me scratching my head.