Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adversecamber

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
It's all I buy or will own.

Seriously. I know the ***king difference.

MP3 has become a consumer-generic term for compressed audio files. However, it's been almost impossible to buy genuine MPEG 1 Layer 3 audio files for a good few years as the compression algorythm has been superceded by more effecient ones - AAC being the main one.

iTunes plays both but the iTunes store supplies you with AAC files which offer better quality at higher compression.

ToneMonkey: Open iTunes and then right click on a iTunes-purchased file, then click Get Info and you'll see Kind is AAC audio file (iTunes even imports CDs using AAC, unless you have chosen the lower quality MP3 codec), so now write a quick post to us all admitting you're wrong and apologising for being so rude.

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Actually the main reason not for selling MP3s is because you have to pay royalties for every track sold. With AAC that's not the case, and so saving Apple probably quite a lot of money (or, most likely, you).

It's all I buy or will own.

Seriously. I know the ***king difference.

For being so sure of yourself, please apologise by getting on your knees and begging forgiveness :p

adversecamber

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Actually the main reason not for selling MP3s is because you have to pay royalties for every track sold. With AAC that's not the case, and so saving Apple probably quite a lot of money (or, most likely, you).

For being so sure of yourself, please apologise by getting on your knees and begging forgiveness :p

What?! Where did you hear that? That's utter rubbish. No artist would allow their music to be released on AAC if this were the case.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
What?! Where did you hear that? That's utter rubbish. No artist would allow their music to be released on AAC if this were the case.

He means paying royalties to Fraunhofer for use of the mp3 codec, not paying artists for the use of the song.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.