Apple Imac 2.5 Quad Core 21.5

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NextGenApple, Jan 31, 2012.

1. NextGenApple macrumors regular

Hi People,
    I just bought a new 2011 Base imac i know there is suggestion there will be a new Mac soon, April and onwards, But i needed one now & spec wise they seem beastly, even for a base model..Could anyone tell me if this is a decent machine for HD video editing i done my research but want to hear from those that are using it or know a lot about macs and this spec, i have 8g of ram also. I need to know while I'm i14 day period as i might have to change it.

Thanks in advance

2. NextGenApple, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Edit, Cheers will be returning and ordering online 21.5 i7, this thing needs to last me.

3. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

You waited two hours, don’t go getting pissy.

Personally for video editing I went with the high end 21.5 with an upgrade to the i7. The high end has a better GPU and the i7 is certainly a nice boost in power. It was about 700 bucks more but is well worth it,

Without having these though I would certainly suggest you get up to at least 12GB of RAM (also hoping you didn’t buy the 4 GB extra from apple, they massively over-charge). What will you be editing on though? If it’s something older like FCP 7 than you’ll have no trouble. If it’s FCP X or Premiere Pro CS5 it will do the job but not as quickly as some of the higher end versions.

Summary: It’ll work but you get what you pay for. Buy a better iMac, it’ll work better. My macbook can edit on FCP 7 just not well. Any iMac will be able to run new editing program but, again, not as well as the better ones do. If you don’t mind some slightly slower render times you’ll be fine.

4. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers, sorry for being impatient lol at least i go someone attention. So i should change it? even though its quad core i5??

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Like I said, it depends what program you will be using and how fast you want your render times. The higher end 21.5 has a better GPU and can be upgraded to an i7 which will greatly boost your power but will cost you.

On the other hand if you’re fine with slightly slower render times you can keep the base model i5 and instead spend the money to buy some third party RAM and put it in yourself. 8GB is plenty (it’s what I have) but more never hurt.

At the end of the way that computer will do the job, just not as fast. There is no current editing software it can’t run though.

6. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

hi man i hope u enjoy ur mac! i have the same base model but im not really in to the hd edditing stuf!
    Its really strong mac though, but ii think that u should ask first and then buy instead buying first and then askin :D

7. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers man, Lol Your right but bought it on instinct. I was in apple store and just bought it there & then, no research what so ever. Thanks anyway