Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.8 24-Inch (Early 2008) Specs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mmonk3yyy, Mar 3, 2018.

1. mmonk3yyy macrumors newbie

hello

im new to macrumors so bare with me.
    I got imac from my company and i formatted it and now i cant do anything with it.
    i phoned apple support and they told me that they are not supporting that model and that i should
    throw it away and get a new one.
    since they dont care any more about it im going to install linux on it but i need help.
    when i power it on it gets me to a os x utilities and thats it, i cant install anything from it,
    and it doesnt response to most startup commands
    any thoughts

Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.8 24-Inch (Early 2008) Specs

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Boot up from a Linux drive and install on Mac? Any reason you can’t do this?

3. mmonk3yyy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm downloading Ubuntu as we speak. I'll try in about 20min

4. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Don't waste your time with Linux on it unless you have a specific need for Linux, or if you need the speed boost that Linux could provide in certain instances.

That model runs 10.11 El Capitan just fine, and can even run 10.12 Sierra or 10.13 High Sierra in certain instances.

10.11, 10.12, and 10.13 are all considered current OSes for Apple.

What OS did you have on it before?

---

P.S. This is posted in the wrong forum.

5. mmonk3yyy thread starter macrumors newbie

It had snow leopard or something like that. I tried to install it back but it's not possile (apple support words). So instead of throwing it in trash I'm putting Ubuntu on it so my wife can browse internet and watch YouTube that's all I need it to do. And it works but I have a problem with WiFi, I can't get Ubuntu to recognize it. Thanks for the help.

6. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

If that is all you need to do, the best OS for it is El Capitan. It's a modern OS, and it fully supports that model. All the browsers work, as does Netflix, and pretty much all modern Mac software, including MS Office.

7. mmonk3yyy thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the thing I couldn't install any apple os on it so Linux works just fine