Apple iMac Data recovery onto a Windows Laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TehEspaaK, Aug 18, 2011.

1. TehEspaaK macrumors newbie

Hey my Apple iMac suffered from a faulty logic board... so i took the hard drive out to recover the data but because my external hard drive i was trying to put the data onto was written for a windows computer, i had to partition it to put all the mac data on there and that seemed to work all fine but when i plug it into my windows xp machine it only reads the partition for the hard drive that was written for windows and normally a partitioned drive should come up as an extra hard drive under My Computer but it doesnt...
    Does anyone know why this could be or know a way for me to read this data.. i do have a macbook somewhere under my bed if that's necessary...
    THANKS!

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

1) Write in complete sentences and use paragraphs. It's hard to help you because I have to reread what you said multiple times.

2) If you didn't partition the drive correctly, no, you won't be able to see it. What format did you use? NFTS? You can read from both Windows and Mac to that drive but you can only write on Windows.

3) If the MB under your bead is running the same OS, and is the same model, you should be able to pop the drive back in; did you not back up your data using time capsule or something like that?

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

To read the OS X partition on Windows you need HFS+ file system drivers.

Let me know what version of Windows your running and I'll see if I can get you the appropriate boot camp HFS+ driver. The other alternative is paid product like; http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/