Apple Improves Audio Messages Quality in iOS 12.2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In the iOS 12.2 beta, Apple has improved the quality of the audio messages sent in the Messages app after switching to a new Opus codec at 24000 Hz, up from the previously used AMR codec at 8000 Hz.

Details on the improvement in audio quality were shared on Twitter this morning, and we confirmed the change on our own devices. Apple previously used the .AMR file format for its audio messages, but in the beta, has swapped over to .CAF.

[​IMG]
    New audio file in iOS 12.2, old audio file in iOS 12.1.4​

On iOS devices running iOS 12.2 or macOS 10.14.4, .CAF files sound much crisper, clearer, and louder, marking a significant improvement over the previous audio quality.

Right now, to hear the improved audio quality, audio messages need to be sent from a device running iOS 12.2 to a device running iOS 12.2 (or a Mac running macOS Mojave 10.14.4). An audio message sent to a device running iOS 12.1.4 uses the original .AMR file format and not the improved .CAF file format. The Twitter user who first shared the news has a comparison on Twitter:

The new 24000 Hz Opus codec appears to result in larger file sizes, but that shouldn't be much of an issue as Messages defaults to deleting audio content after just a few minutes.

All iOS users can expect to see significant improvements in audio message quality in the Messages app upon updating to iOS 12.2. We're expecting to see iOS 12.2 released shortly after Apple's March 25 event, as it will also allow Apple to enable the new Apple News subscription service that's set to be introduced.

Article Link: Apple Improves Audio Messages Quality in iOS 12.2

2. jsmith189 macrumors 68000

jsmith189

FINALLY. I use this a lot, and have just taken to using the Voice Notes app and sending them that way. This is a much welcomed improvement.

Now can we just get a swipe and lock for longer audio messages?

3. javco macrumors member

They have to improve how the UI for voice messages works, it is a pain. I prefer how whatsapp handle voice messages and all multimedia in messages.

4. now i see it macrumors 68040

Over 20 years of experience fiddling around with audio codecs and someone approved a 8000 Hz codec. Now that's a head scratcher.

5. fonzy91 macrumors member

FINALLY!! With other platforms like Whatsapp and WeChat having offered this for forever and people in most of Asia and Europe using audio messages A LOT, I'm really surprised Apple waited this long to improve the quality. I hope they advertise it, cause it's a big improvement that affects the way we communicate.

6. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

Core Audio Format files have nothing to do with Opus. You may have .CAF associated with Opus codec but that won't the reality moving foward. Apple will associate it with ALAC or AAC. It sure won't default to Opus.

7. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

OK, I will give some props to Apple for this.

8. Osxguy macrumors member

Osxguy

I have to admit I’ve never used this.. this is like answering a phone call for me.. why not voice to text.. that’s just me.. it’s a nice service for those that may need to use them..

9. The Barron macrumors 6502

YES!

It's about time we get up-to-date audio messaging where it no longer takes a few tries to figure what the person is saying.

10. Berserker-UK macrumors member

Then again, AMR is optimized for voice and was adopted as the standard for 3G cell audio, so there was some logic to that choice.

11. jwolf6589 macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

What about Apple Watch users? I send audio messages mostly on my Watch.

12. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

This is great, but it's very irritating that I can only keep a fairly small number of voicemails because they count against some insane quota that Verizon is in charge of. I've got a phone with 256GB of storage, you'd think I wouldn't have to worry about this. Anybody aware of any workarounds?

EDIT: never mind, I'm an idiot and didn't read this closely -- realize now this is about the iMessage voice things, which have been absurdly low-quality until now. Great change!

13. jwolf6589 macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

Voicemails can be kept for an unlimited time (until you reset your phone). They can also be emailed, and saved to your iCloud drive.

14. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

15. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

Oh, I know they can, but if I accumulate too many in the Phone app without offloading them to somewhere else, people start telling me they're getting a "mailbox is full" from Verizon when trying to leave me a voicemail.

To add to your list above, they can also be shared to Notes, which is also a handy place to paste in the transcription if you're really archiving something.

16. konqerror macrumors 6502a

Not a head scratcher at all. It's for compatibility with MMS in mixed messaging scenarios. AMR-NB is the standard codec defined there due to its use in GSM.

Follow the standard, people complain. Come up with your own standard, people complain...

17. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

Messages is so far behind on basic stuff, this is very welcome but please for the love of god also add:

-Individual message replies
    -Improve UX to send multiple images inside messages, if you tap on "all photos" you can't even select multiple at once from there.

18. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

The files in question were pulled from an iOS device, and so the codec used for these files was what iOS was using to store the content in the CAF container. I think it's pretty clear that right now, in the beta, Apple is using the Opus codec.

19. olduser007, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019

olduser007 macrumors newbie

While better than before, it's still lacks in quality in comparison to Whatsapp and other apps.

Thankfully I don't live in the States where everyone keeps using iMessage over better apps.

20. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Now we can blame them for finishing our data plans because voice messages are too large :)

21. mjbadagliacco macrumors newbie

mjbadagliacco

I just want to be able to leave a voice message when someone does not answer a FaceTime or FaceTime Audio call... Come on Apple, what is holding this up?

22. jwolf6589 macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

WhatsApp is a problem because it requires me to install it and the other user to use it and its why I avoid it.

23. Ohples macrumors newbie

Ohples

Opus eh, does this mean we are going to get OGG/Opus support in iOS now? Listening to audio in wikipedia articles would be so much nicer. They started moving some of them to MP3, but there not all there yet.

24. maxfromdenmark macrumors regular

maxfromdenmark

nice, thank you Apple. My next question is: when iPhone will begin to serve Hi-Res Audio standard?